Small bald patch below chin

Hey guys,

I have a small bald patch below my chin. It’s probably a small scar. I will have a touch up HT with Dr.Heinicke in 2 months. Is it possible to have a small transplant in this area with some beard grafts or will it likely not grow because it’s a scar ? Do I have to look out for anything regarding transplanting some beard grafts onto the patch or will it be an easy thing to do ?

IMG_6932.jpeg

I could be wrong, but as far as Im aware you can implant on scars, scar tissue, etc. There may be lesser yield than there otherwise would be due to the scar, or perhaps growth will you be fine. 

Can you also take a more zoomed out picture of your entire face and beard? I am curious how big of an issue this actually is for you. I think there is a good chance merely growing the neighboring hair even just a few millimeters, will be enough to start concealing it

5 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I could be wrong, but as far as Im aware you can implant on scars, scar tissue, etc. There may be lesser yield than there otherwise would be due to the scar, or perhaps growth will you be fine. 

Can you also take a more zoomed out picture of your entire face and beard? I am curious how big of an issue this actually is for you. I think there is a good chance merely growing the neighboring hair even just a few millimeters, will be enough to start concealing it

Thanks for the response. From the front it’s not visible. It’s just visible from the side when the beard has grown a few days and when I look up. I would just like to fix it. Just wondering if there is some things I have to look out for even though it’s only a very small area that would be worked on.

4 minutes ago, SteveUrkel02 said:

Thanks for the response. From the front it’s not visible. It’s just visible from the side when the beard has grown a few days and when I look up. I would just like to fix it. Just wondering if there is some things I have to look out for even though it’s only a very small area that would be worked on.

as far as I am aware it should be a super easy fix. Looks like a super small area and only a handful of grafts needed. 

I'm also really not sure its a scar either unless you specifically injured yourself there at some point. 

It's definitely not related to MPB as there is no direct correlation between beard loss and MPB

would say the majority of guys naturally have some patchiness, bald spots in their beard, so i would just say it is natural and non MPB related

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

as far as I am aware it should be a super easy fix. Looks like a super small area and only a handful of grafts needed. 

I'm also really not sure its a scar either unless you specifically injured yourself there at some point. 

It's definitely not related to MPB as there is no direct correlation between beard loss and MPB

would say the majority of guys naturally have some patchiness, bald spots in their beard, so i would just say it is natural and non MPB related

Sounds good. I will ask my doctor more about it. My beard is pretty dense. It’s the only bald patch I have on my beard , so I assume it has got to be a scar. 

As HappyMan pointed out, it’s not unusual for there to be small areas that are barren of hair…even if it is a scar, the area is pink and a good sign of blood flow so I think a very small amount of FUE grafts would grow…your surgeon could harvest a small number of beard grafts from areas on your face that are much denser for donor.

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hello,

I think it is important to rule out "alopecia areata" which can also involves beard area in some people. I'm not sure when you started seeing this bald patch on your beard. If it is alopecia areata and not a scar, then it should be treated with topical steroid and minoxidil. If it's a scar then a transplant could be done. I hope this help.

• Like 3

Dr. Wunny (Wipawan Vathananai)

Hair transplant surgeon & Dermatologist (ISHRS Fellowship 2022-2023)

BHI Clinic, Bangkok, Thailand (https://www.bhiclinic.com/en/)

Dude i would check for alopecia areata, like the dr said above, because then hairs will be dormant, and you would just be implanting over hair, I have had it twice, once in my beard and once in the back of my head, I would look for momestetone fumarate (probs spelt wrong) and use it very sparingly, and wait and see, if after a month or two you have small hairs sprout you should be all good. Also because its a steroid cream, do not pile it on thinking more is better, just a little touch daily. This is because if you use it too much it may end up having a paradoxical reaction. If its simply a scar, then go ahead. 

A distinction or determination definitely needs to be made.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Sometimes, there could be scarring alopecia which involves beard. Even though it's quite uncommon but if it really is scarring alopecia. Then a hair transplant cannot be performed. Only if it is a scar from trauma or external causes that the hair transplant can fix the issue.

Dr. Wunny (Wipawan Vathananai)

Hair transplant surgeon & Dermatologist (ISHRS Fellowship 2022-2023)

BHI Clinic, Bangkok, Thailand (https://www.bhiclinic.com/en/)