OKAY, 19 years old. RECEDING HAIRLINE?? (pic)

so I've kind of noticed for awhile... maybe like, a year ago? that I was kind of losing some hair or it was getting thinner or whatever well anyway I was just bored, started taking pictures and realized my hairline actually looks pretty bad? it looks like it's straight receding like I should be 30 years old or something does it not? I used to have really thick hair... it's pretty thin now? any suggestions? help? does it look like it's receding fairly well or am I just kind of freaking out? pretty sure I'm not, it looks like it's receding.

Yes it is receding a little bit, I noticed a similar thing when I was 19, then jumped into a hair transplant when I was 22, bad move, I didnt need it. I'm 34 now and still have tons of hair, I've been on Finasteride (Propecia) since 2002 and thats what allowed me to keep my hair. (ive had most of the HT hair removed)

Look into taking Propecia.

how long do you think before it starts to get noticeably worse? what did propecia do for you? does it just block the dht or whatever and stop the hairloss, or does it make hair grow back? what about rogaine or something? maybe? idk in the future I obviously don't need it now. or maybe I should start taking it now.

Hey Dewby,

I can't see your photo but I will try to answer some of your other questions.

Finasteride (Propecia/Proscar) is an antiandrogen, ultimately it reduces the formation of DHT.

I know your question was directed at Sparky, but for me I believe it has kept my hair at the stage it was prior to starting it some years ago. Of course there is no way to prove this, however, I firmly believe I would be at the high end of the NW scale had I not been on Finasteride (I slowly started to lose my hair at around age 15, at least this was when it was noticed).

Finasteride has a very good chance of stopping or at least slowing any further hair loss, it can regrow hair in some cases and with different levels of sucess, however, this is less common and shouldn't be expected. Most long term users see it as a drug to save what they have.

Minoxidil (Rogaine). I won't bore you with the details and to be honest no one really knows how Minoxidil works. You stand a fair chance of regrowing some hair with Minioxidil (I haven't) though this is less common in the hair line. Failing that, as with Finasteride there's a good chance it will stop or slow any further loss.

Both of the above drugs are our best medical forms of attack at this time, though no one can tell you with any certainty how or if these drugs will benefit you, it's really something you need to try for yourself. It is widely believed that the best results are seen in early treatment; If you are sure you have started balding, I would personally recommend you try one or both of the above drugs now.