Shedding Hair Like Crazy - I'm Going Crazy!!!

Hi guys.. Its now been 2 and a half months since my transplant. And I'm starting to shed a lot of hair which is making me mad as fu''ck!! I'm literally going insane over this. I never knew this was going to happen. I can't even look in the mirror anymore cuz if I do I'll regret life and people. Please tell me this is temporary and my hair will regrow again. This is complete torture.

On 2/7/2024 at 7:47 AM, wprevil said:

Hi guys.. Its now been 2 and a half months since my transplant. And I'm starting to shed a lot of hair which is making me mad as fu''ck!! I'm literally going insane over this. I never knew this was going to happen. I can't even look in the mirror anymore cuz if I do I'll regret life and people. Please tell me this is temporary and my hair will regrow again. This is complete torture.

How did you not know that the hairs shed post op? Did your surgeon not inform you? Did you receive a post op care document? I am surprised you wouldn't know this before you underwent surgery. 

This is what happens with every HT. Transplanted hairs fall and they grow back during 3-12 months, that is precisely the plan.

So no reason to worry.

14 hours ago, Myles23 said:

How did you not know that the hairs shed post op? Did your surgeon not inform you? Did you receive a post op care document? I am surprised you wouldn't know this before you underwent surgery. 

Cuz I thought that shedding was a rare event in a few people. I didnt know it was so prevalent that its accepted as normal, even with my research. All the knowledge in the world helps until stuff really hits you

Edited by wprevil

14 hours ago, Stoner said:

This is what happens with every HT. Transplanted hairs fall and they grow back during 3-12 months, that is precisely the plan.

So no reason to worry.

From your lips to god's ears. Thanks!!

15 hours ago, Stoner said:

So no reason to worry.

So can sharp pain in the temples area sometimes accompany this shedding phase? Cuz I experience that sometimes in that area where shedding is happening the most.

Edited by wprevil

3 hours ago, wprevil said:

So can sharp pain in the temples area sometimes accompany this shedding phase? Cuz I experience that sometimes in that area where shedding is happening the most.

It shouldn't be painful constantly, and if it, that's something to discuss with the clinic.

However, there will be occasional pain as your head heals from the surgery and you begin to regain sensation.

On 2/9/2024 at 2:56 AM, BackFromTheBrink said:

It shouldn't be painful constantly, and if it, that's something to discuss with the clinic.

However, there will be occasional pain as your head heals from the surgery and you begin to regain sensation.

Can this occasional pain be present even 2 and half months postop?

Just now, wprevil said:

Can this occasional pain be present even 2 and half months postop?

Yes. Is your scalp still numb in places? From what I understand, it's the process of repair as the inevitable damage caused by the surgery is repaired. Nerves can be damaged or cut but will be regenerated. I would say that would be up to around 6 months.

18 hours ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

Yes. Is your scalp still numb in places? From what I understand, it's the process of repair as the inevitable damage caused by the surgery is repaired. Nerves can be damaged or cut but will be regenerated. I would say that would be up to around 6 months.

Appreciate that. Last question.. As stated, I'm 3 months postop. At times during sleep I rest the side of my head on the pillow because I cant sleep constantly in one direction facing up. The problem with resting on the side of my head on my pillow is that upon waking I feel discomfort (but no pain) on the temple area and fear that may affect my grafts. Again, its not pain but discomfort. Do you think this is cause for alarm even at 3 months postop? Do you think this is cause for alarm?

Edited by wprevil

I doubt it. It's probably just because your scalp is tight as the skin heals.

I'm 7 months in and still have itches and aches from time to time. I think we all become more conscious of it since we know about the surgery whereas usually we'd just rub our heads / turnover and think nothing of it.

I would only become concerned if there were signs of infection (don't confuse that with minor irritation with hairs popping through the scalp) or where I had constant pain that required medication to keep it manageable. 

Outside of that, it's just appreciating that you've had several thousand cuts to your head and that will take time to fully get back to normal.

19 hours ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

I doubt it. It's probably just because your scalp is tight as the skin heals.

you've had several thousand cuts to your head and that will take time to fully get back to normal.

I know but it feels like the pinches of pain in my temple areas are contributing to the shedding which I interpret as permanent hair loss. I then end up massaging these areas in the hopes that that will mitigate the pinch pain. And as I've said, this has been going on intermittently several weeks after the surgery.. I'm 3 months postop.

Edited by wprevil