Loss of progress or positive change in the form of a shed?

grassPacket

Until a couple weeks ago, I was using 0.5 mL of a 0.025% finasteride 8% minoxidil topical solution in propylene glycol daily. I had good results but discontinued it since it irritated my scalp and have moved to using 1 cap daily of foam Rogaine and 0.75 mL of a 0.025% finasteride 2.5% trichoxidil liposomal solution. Since then, it kinda seems like I've lost ground at least on my left temple. Does this look to be the case? Could this be a shed or am I doing something wrong?

20240203_100208.jpg

20240104_093136.jpg

20240203_095836.jpg

20240104_092826.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 2/3/2024 at 1:11 PM, grassPacket said:

Until a couple weeks ago, I was using 0.5 mL of a 0.025% finasteride 8% minoxidil topical solution in propylene glycol daily. I had good results but discontinued it since it irritated my scalp and have moved to using 1 cap daily of foam Rogaine and 0.75 mL of a 0.025% finasteride 2.5% trichoxidil liposomal solution. Since then, it kinda seems like I've lost ground at least on my left temple. Does this look to be the case? Could this be a shed or am I doing something wrong?

You say you stopped and then switched. Did you stop for a while before restarting with a new regimen? Could it be a new shed caused by stopping and changing meds? Just throwing possibilities out there.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

7 hours ago, Al - formerly BeHappy said:

You say you stopped and then switched. Did you stop for a while before restarting with a new regimen? Could it be a new shed caused by stopping and changing meds? Just throwing possibilities out there.

I did, but briefly. Maybe 1 week of minoxidil, 2 weeks from finasteride. I can't remember exactly now

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I think the only thing you can do to find out is stay on the meds and see if it grows back. Earlier I mentioned a possible shed due to stopping or changing meds, but depending on how long ago you first started using meds, it could be a synchronized shed... meaning if the hair all started growing in at the same time it may tend to shed at the same time too before growing new, stronger hairs.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

That's the plan and my same thinking. If you look at the photos, it sort of appears that the suckier hairs are the ones that vanished which makes me hopeful that I'll have regrowth soon. It could be due to the larger dose of minoxidil I'm subjecting myself to daily; about double.

I even had the thought that the peeling and irritation caused by PG was acting in a similar fashion to microneedling and was actually helping my growth. But I'm not so sure about that

16 hours ago, Al - formerly BeHappy said:

I think the only thing you can do to find out is stay on the meds and see if it grows back. Earlier I mentioned a possible shed due to stopping or changing meds, but depending on how long ago you first started using meds, it could be a synchronized shed... meaning if the hair all started growing in at the same time it may tend to shed at the same time too before growing new, stronger hairs.

• Moderators

Please update us in a few months to let us know if it improves. Thanks.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

• 1 month later...