Can I sleep normally now?

Hey guys, I'm now 12 days post-op and I had a transplant on my hairline and around my temples. For the first three or four days post-op, I slept at a 45 degree angle, and since then have been sleeping horizontally on my back. I have some trouble sleeping well while on my back all night and I am just wondering if I'm clear now to sleep on my sides and stomach without harming the grafts. Thanks.

Hey guys, I'm now 12 days post-op and I had a transplant on my hairline and around my temples. For the first three or four days post-op, I slept at a 45 degree angle, and since then have been sleeping horizontally on my back. I have some trouble sleeping well while on my back all night and I am just wondering if I'm clear now to sleep on my sides and stomach without harming the grafts. Thanks.

My understanding for sleeping at an angle is to protect the new grafts and also to reduce swelling and bleeding at the donor. I slept normally at day 7, the day that i start to shampoo normally again.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Sleeping at a 45-degree angle helps to speed the downward movement of the fluid built up (i.e., swelling) in your head from surgery. If you sleep flat and have swelling, the swelling will last longer. And yes you should sleep on your back so as not to dis-lodge the grafts. I actually had two blankets on both sides of me so I wouldn't roll over and I used one of those travel pillows to keep my head in place.

This was all done to allow the grafts to secure themselves and again not dis-lodge any during the all important first ten day period.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Thanks for the replies, guys! What a relief! Eman, I actually had my staples removed 7 days post-op. I have just preferred to stay on the cautious side to be sure my grafts are 100% secure. God knows if they weren't secure, with the way I sleep, all my grafts would be lying on my pillow the next morning. icon_smile.gif Thanks again for the replies!

Jensen,

What did you HT doctor say how to sleep in there post-op information ? You would figure that if you spent $5K to $15K for a good HT procedure that you would have a detailed post-op from the doctor ? I also would say if it is NOT in the post-op instructions from the doctor then you do not have to do it.