Can anyone link longer term transplant without finasteride.

Hi all.

I am trying to find if there are any posts on people who have had a transplant without finasteride over say a 5-10year period.

I've searched extensively and there does see to be any on the forum

Unfortunately finasteride in all forms and doses absolutely messes with me. Gyno, low libido, painful ejaculation maybe depression aswell. 

I am 34years old and norwood 3/4 ish vertex I've been told. But I'm a diffuse thinner so don't think I fall on the scale properly. In the right light my hair looks ok, but bright lights definitely looks see through

My plan would be to have a moderately higher hairline. And concentrate on front and midscalp (front for just now as midscalp is okish) Im happy to leave the crown so I could bank as many grafts for top ups as a last resort. 

If your hairs on the donor are not miniaturised you dont absolutely need to be on finasteride to get a hairtransplant. But you are running into the risk to lose your native hair on the top in the future after the ht. This depends of how stabilised your hairloss is and for this matter you should consult with a doctor who can examine your case and your family history and give you some better advice. If you cant tolerate oral finasteride there are always other options like topical finasteride, dutasteride and oral minoxidil.

If you do a proper research in this forum you will find many cases of sucessful ht without finasteride but this applies mostly to full NW 5 or NW 6 cases.

7 hours ago, jjalay said:

If your hairs on the donor are not miniaturised you dont absolutely need to be on finasteride to get a hairtransplant. But you are running into the risk to lose your native hair on the top in the future after the ht. This depends of how stabilised your hairloss is and for this matter you should consult with a doctor who can examine your case and your family history and give you some better advice. If you cant tolerate oral finasteride there are always other options like topical finasteride, dutasteride and oral minoxidil.

If you do a proper research in this forum you will find many cases of sucessful ht without finasteride but this applies mostly to full NW 5 or NW 6 cases.

That's the problem I can't find cases on this site. That's what I'm asking for help with.

I don't have any miniturizing in the donor at the moment, but I'm only 34 so who knows. 

I've tried topical fin and still same issues.even as low as 0.01ml e.o.d. I believe fin builds up in the system over time. I'm not willing to try oral minox due to lack of long term studies on the heart, risk outweighs reward. 

Which is why I'm thinking transplant without fin. But I can't find long term results anywhere. I just want to guage typically how long does it last for the average person. If I could look decent to my 50s, I'd say worthwhile. 

In your shoes i would deal with it as i am going to evolve to a NW5 in the future and plan a hairtransplant by keeping this in mind. You can restore the hairline and midscalp now and go along with it. In the future if your hairloss progresses you have to reserve enough grafts for a second procedure for the post. midscalp and the crown. This would be a safe plan.

Another option is to try dutasteride.

I had a FUT procedure about 16 years ago. This is the first time I have come back to this site since because I’m thinking of having a second procedure. I have been very happy with the outcome but over the last few years I have been wanting another procedure as it’s quite thin again at the front. At the time I thought would have to return for a follow up sooner.  I never took any medication and at the time it wasn’t suggested.

I can’t find a record of the clinic unfortunately somewhere in Belgium, one of the top clinic recommended on this site at the time. 

When I have the second procedure I certainly won’t be taking medication and I would not worry about this. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2024 at 8:40 AM, Bombastic introvert said:

I had a FUT procedure about 16 years ago. This is the first time I have come back to this site since because I’m thinking of having a second procedure. I have been very happy with the outcome but over the last few years I have been wanting another procedure as it’s quite thin again at the front. At the time I thought would have to return for a follow up sooner.  I never took any medication and at the time it wasn’t suggested.

I can’t find a record of the clinic unfortunately somewhere in Belgium, one of the top clinic recommended on this site at the time. 

When I have the second procedure I certainly won’t be taking medication and I would not worry about this. 

Have you got any images pre transplant, post transplant and how you look now