Transplant for thin crown?

Hi everyone! Although I hardly ever post, I've been a follower of this forum for a while and appreciate reading all of your stories and feedback! I have a few questions myself.

So I'm 35 years and have a slightly thinned crown. In all honesty, when I looked at pics, looks like it's been like that since I was in my late teens, but it has not changed and I have no other hair loss or miniaturization (knock on wood). I started finasteride a couple of months ago after I read about it.

I'm vain about my hair, so I was thinking of getting a transplant. I probably would only need 1,000 grafts or less.

So my first two questions are 1) before jumping into a hair transplant should I continue to use finasteride for a few more months and see what the results are?

2) if I do end up going with the transplant I am unfortunate to be a non-responder to finasteride, for such a small number of grafts, would it still make sense to go overseas to a clinic/surgeon like Eugenix, Dr. Zarev, Dr. Lorenzo, etc for their excellent donor management since they typically focus on repairs for advanced North levels? Or since my case is stomach smaller would it make more sense to find a more local place that's reputable.

The third question if you don't mind me asking is how did most of you fund the cost for your hair transplants, especially those of you that are advanced Norwood levels and required many many grafts? Did you save up and pay cash for it? Did you take out a loan or home equity and finance it? Etc.

Any feedback is appreciated!

• Valued Contributor

It's a wise decision to start finasteride. Your crown may not advance for some time but even so I think you made a wise choice if hair is important to you. I would give the finasteride a year before having surgery because you want to know what it will do. It may regrow some hair in the crown or it may halt or your MPB (which is an excellent thing). Then look at having surgery. I think regardless if you require a thousand grafts or over fourteen thousand grafts there is no point in having surgery if the results do not look natural. You would look much better leaving your hair as is than going to a clinic that doesn't provide excellent results. Don't be guided by geography and money. This is going to change your appearance for life. Look at the forum's recommended surgeons voted by patients and the results that patients here have posted. Look for someone with a similar hair loss to yourself and with results you are after. All the best.

53 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

It's a wise decision to start finasteride. Your crown may not advance for some time but even so I think you made a wise choice if hair is important to you. I would give the finasteride a year before having surgery because you want to know what it will do. It may regrow some hair in the crown or it may halt or your MPB (which is an excellent thing). Then look at having surgery. I think regardless if you require a thousand grafts or over fourteen thousand grafts there is no point in having surgery if the results do not look natural. You would look much better leaving your hair as is than going to a clinic that doesn't provide excellent results. Don't be guided by geography and money. This is going to change your appearance for life. Look at the forum's recommended surgeons voted by patients and the results that patients here have posted. Look for someone with a similar hair loss to yourself and with results you are after. All the best.

Thank you for the feedback! So it can take up to a year to see results from fin?

Also, unless you genes that make your hair follicles extremely sensitive to DHT, if you continue to take finasteride does it typically continue to have it's effects? Or does it eventually stop working?

Also, where on here can I find the list of surgeons? I was looking for it and couldn't find it.

Edited by HairAffair27

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

Nevermind I found it when I signed in on my desktop lol. Are there more recommended surgeons than are currently on that list? I ask because I thought it was much longer.