How long should you wait between Hair Transplants?

Generally speaking how long of an interval should there be between hair transplants? If you want to have a full head of hair without any visible thinning by addressing each problematic area one by one (hairline/frontal third region, mid scalp and crown)  

Should you get a transplant every year or wait at least every 2 years? I’m assuming the scalp needs time for recovery and so does the donor area. 

• Valued Contributor
8 hours ago, Sunset Dune said:

Generally speaking how long of an interval should there be between hair transplants? If you want to have a full head of hair without any visible thinning by addressing each problematic area one by one (hairline/frontal third region, mid scalp and crown)  

Should you get a transplant every year or wait at least every 2 years? I’m assuming the scalp needs time for recovery and so does the donor area. 

It would depend on part on what Norwood level you were. If you were a Norwood 7 like myself you could have surgery a day at a time like I did (with the right doctor). If you are say a Norwood 3 I would wait as long as possible between surgeries to get the most out of the transplant. Of course if your hair loss has definitely stabilized due to medication then this is not as much of an issue. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

It would depend on part on what Norwood level you were. If you were a Norwood 7 like myself you could have surgery a day at a time like I did (with the right doctor). If you are say a Norwood 3 I would wait as long as possible between surgeries to get the most out of the transplant. Of course if your hair loss has definitely stabilized due to medication then this is not as much of an issue. 

Well said and Gats had an exceptional surgeon!

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY