What’s the best surgery for me? Hair loss from SebDerm and childbirth scars. Need help!

I’ve dug around online and the info on this subject is pretty bare bones.

About every 3 months I have to shave a little higher on my sideburns to keep them looking even. Unfortunately, it’s getting too high for my comfort level and I’m afraid I’m going to need a transplant to correct this. I have no idea why this is happening.

I also have a minor form of alopecia areata, and I notice that my sideburn hair loss accelerates when my diet becomes unhealthy. Eating clean is the only thing that seems to help. Otherwise, it gets inflamed/itches and leaves in little patchy areas.

Please help

edit: here are the two scars I was born with (c-section scars) before my SebDerm started flaring up.

IMG_7053.jpeg

Edited by Superfueled

7 hours ago, Superfueled said:

I’ve dug around online and the info on this subject is pretty bare bones.

About every 3 months I have to shave a little higher on my sideburns to keep them looking even. Unfortunately, it’s getting too high for my comfort level and I’m afraid I’m going to need a transplant to correct this. I have no idea why this is happening.

I also have a minor form of alopecia areata, and I notice that my sideburn hair loss accelerates when my diet becomes unhealthy. Eating clean is the only thing that seems to help. Otherwise, it gets inflamed/itches and leaves in little patchy areas.

Please help

Do you've any available photos ?

• Like 1

I might as well throw in some of my other photos too, since it’s a little more than just sideburns.

This has been happening over 6 months and my dermatologist seems to think I’m dealing with mild forms of alopecia areata and sebhorric dermatitis. I think it could be retrograde alopecia as well but I have no idea. I’ve grown my hair out in recent months to help hide the balding.

Strange thing is that I can sometimes go for as long as 3 months without symptoms or flareups, but my left sideburn just recently started itching and I noticed some more patchiness working it way up.

IMG_1627.jpeg

IMG_1290.png

IMG_0743.jpeg

IMG_0742.jpeg

IMG_0741.jpeg

IMG_0717.jpeg

IMG_0716.jpeg

IMG_0706.jpeg

IMG_0687.jpeg

Edited by Superfueled

I have a similar issue and i think it could be retrograde alopecia. I have noted the same kind of thinning above the ears and sideburn area and the nape region. Check with your doctor / dermatologist if Minox will help you. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UKLad81 said:

I have a similar issue and i think it could be retrograde alopecia. I have noted the same kind of thinning above the ears and sideburn area and the nape region. Check with your doctor / dermatologist if Minox will help you. 

@UKLad81Interesting. I asked my dermatologist if it was retrograde alopecia and he adamantly feels that it’s a no. He’s told me I’m likely experiencing some minor hair loss from a combo of alopecia barbae (hence little circles on my beard and side burn areas). And him and I concluded that the hair loss around the nape, ears, and sideburns is from inflammations and scratching.

When my scalp loss was at its worst, I was scratching intensely, having minor shooting pains in the scalp region, and was experiencing redness. I’ll attach some photos of the swelling during peak inflammation. I had two dermatologists hypothesize that this is sebhorric dermatitis with hair loss from itching + untreated inflammation. 

You’ll also see some photos of what my hair looks like now grown out long. It provides full coverage for the most part, as long as I stick with either a wolfcut or gentlemen’s flow. Just not ideal. 

Would love to know how wrecked my donor area is.

IMG_0793.jpeg

IMG_0839.jpeg

IMG_1643.jpeg

IMG_1442.jpeg

IMG_1438.jpeg

Edited by Superfueled
Donor area?

• Superfueled changed the title to What’s the best surgery for me? Hair loss from SebDerm and childbirth scars. Need help!
5 hours ago, Superfueled said:

@UKLad81Interesting. I asked my dermatologist if it was retrograde alopecia and he adamantly feels that it’s a no. He’s told me I’m likely experiencing some minor hair loss from a combo of alopecia barbae (hence little circles on my beard and side burn areas). And him and I concluded that the hair loss around the nape, ears, and sideburns is from inflammations and scratching.

When my scalp loss was at its worst, I was scratching intensely, having minor shooting pains in the scalp region, and was experiencing redness. I’ll attach some photos of the swelling during peak inflammation. I had two dermatologists hypothesize that this is sebhorric dermatitis with hair loss from itching + untreated inflammation. 

You’ll also see some photos of what my hair looks like now grown out long. It provides full coverage for the most part, as long as I stick with either a wolfcut or gentlemen’s flow. Just not ideal. 

Would love to know how wrecked my donor area is.

IMG_0793.jpeg

IMG_0839.jpeg

IMG_1643.jpeg

IMG_1442.jpeg

IMG_1438.jpeg

Your donor actually looking good when you're growing out hair. In terms of time frame, what's the difference between these two set of photos ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shadman said:

Your donor actually looking good when you're growing out hair. In terms of time frame, what's the difference between these two set of photos ?

I’ve probably been growing out my hair for like 3-4 months since I got tapered with a 2’. 

The two scars in photo #1 (original post) are from childbirth, and the patchiness in the later photos are from SebDerm and Alopecia barbae. 

I tried doing oral minoxidil with my derm for 3 weeks but my heart couldn’t take it. I also feel scared about libido issues with finasteride

38 minutes ago, Superfueled said:

I’ve probably been growing out my hair for like 3-4 months since I got tapered with a 2’. 

The two scars in photo #1 (original post) are from childbirth, and the patchiness in the later photos are from SebDerm and Alopecia barbae. 

I tried doing oral minoxidil with my derm for 3 weeks but my heart couldn’t take it. I also feel scared about libido issues with finasteride

At what dosage you had sides with oral minoxidil ?

• Like 1