Hair Transplant Aftercare Advice: Oral vs. Topical Minoxidil for Afro Curly Hair - Seeking Opinions

kutekay

About 10 days ago, I underwent a hair transplant, and things seem to be progressing well. However, I'm a bit uncertain about the advice my surgeon provided for my post-transplant care. Before the procedure, I'd been on Oral Finasteride 1mg and Topical Minoxidil 5% for approximately a year. Despite this regimen, I haven't noticed significant hair growth or any worsening of hair loss.

The surgeon now recommends switching from topical to oral minoxidil, citing concerns about the topical version not being ideal for my hair type and its potential to cause dandruff. I've been using Nizoral 2% ketoconazole anti-dandruff shampoo, but she believes it might be too aggressive. She insists that for better results, I should switch entirely to oral minoxidil. However, I'm uncomfortable with this suggestion due to the potential side effects. Balancing oral finasteride and topical minoxidil is already a lot for me!

I'm seeking opinions or experiences from others who might have faced a similar situation or have knowledge about this. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

• Valued Contributor

Taking medication is a personal thing. However (and this is just my opinion and I’m not a doctor) oral minoxidil is a lot easier and more consistent to take. It also bypasses the liver and will benefit all of your hair (not just where the topical version is applied on the top of the scalp). I take 5mg oral minoxidil and I have no side effects and I have experienced the benefits in consultation with a dermatologist. I’ve used topical minoxidil before but for me it’s a lot more messy and time consuming than taking a tablet. All the best.