Topical Minoxidil - start now OR Later when it gets bad bad....

Hey guys, quick question

I'm 37 years old and have been taking Finasteride for two years. My hairline is at a Norwood 2/3 stage, and I recently had a hair transplant to address it.

Now, I'm wondering if I should start using topical Minoxidil to get the best results. My hair is thinning a bit, and I've lost some volume. My vertex area is just starting to show signs of thinning. Should I start using topical Minoxidil daily, or should I save it for later when my hair loss gets worse? I've heard two different opinions. Some say the effects of topical Minoxidil wear off after 5-6 years, so it's better to save it for when you're losing more hair on the vertex. Others suggest using it now in the early stages to potentially stop hair loss for many years. What ya guys think?

Thanks for the advice

PS: Here are some photos of me right before getting a hair transplant for my receding hairline.

20230915_154512.jpg

20231001_144452.jpg

20231001_162859.jpg

back.JPG

• Valued Contributor

I wouldn't wait to wear a condom when my girlfriend gets to five months of pregnancy. My point is that if you wait until the hair has miniaturized or gone then it may be too late for minoxidil to be of any benefit. I think if you feel committed to using minoxidil long term then you will benefit from adding this to your medical arsenal. I don't think it would be a waste long term. You could also try it in it's oral form which I've personally found in my case that I have benefited in the transplanted hair and donor hair in terms of thickness. All the best! 👍