Please Help - Traveling Overseas for Transplant Soon

Hi Guys. I'm American and will travel to Europe next month for a procedure. I have 2 questions...

1) I can't stay in Europe too long cuz of my job in USA. That being the case, I'm worried my transplant will mess up if I fly back home too early post-op. I was thinking of flying back 4 days after surgery. Will my transplant be ok if I do that?

2) Whats the best way to avoid foreign fees when buying food and stuff overseas?

As above you are fine flying back a few days after, dependant on where you go, particularly in Turkey you will see patients who are clearly flying back the day after their surgery. My only advice would be if you can try to give yourself a few days recovery time, while you will likely have swelling by day 4 the recovery process will be well underway, also if you fly economy its a gamble who you are next too and spending a long flight protecting your precious new hairs is daunting but if they've had a good few days to recover takes some of the pressure off. 

In terms of spends, I signed up for a revolt card and converted what I need to Turkish Lira but think most currencies are on there, so was fee free and pretty good exchange rates , I did also take cash for the transplant and a bit spare for tips and stuff. 

Best of luck

9 hours ago, RobsHair16 said:

if you fly economy its a gamble who you are next too and spending a long flight protecting your precious new hairs is daunting

Yes I'll be flying economy. But are you sure that economy is as bad as you describe it? I'm trying to save a few bucks.

As I said it’s luck of the drawer, chances are you will be fine, just one to think about as I had a really challenging flight back. Also as you said giving yourself a few days should help a lot as by that point your new hairs are really starting to bed in. 

@wprevil sure no problem, I have posted my whole experience on another post if it is of any help.

But in terms of the flight probably like most of us flown hundreds of times, had those more challenging flights but you tend to get on with it, difference this time for me was I'd just spent a lot of money and gone through a lot to get this stage and didn't want it ruined. But in short all was fine from a transfer to the airport perspective, Istanbul as you'd expect is a busy airport you have to go through 3 security checkpoints and depending on your gate it can be quite a walk so again normally id be pacing through the airport no problem, but as you are trying to avoid a sweat it takes a little longer but no real problems.

For me biggest issue was the flight, I booked a window seat as I thought I won't need to move and the chance of anyone accidently catching me is pretty slim, I even thought before take off I might be in luck as the seat next to me was vacant but just as the last few passengers join guy and his wife get on next to me. Seemed friendly enough smiled I said hello, thought this was going to be alright. He then started moaning to the attendant he wanted a window seat, obviously wasn't going to happen as it was a fairly full plane. To begin with he keeps taking photos / filming out the window putting this camera right in front of my face, no respect for boundaries and continues to do this despite me asking him to stop, he then turns the air con off above my head I said no I need this on, he must have messed with it no end of times during the flight and I kept turning it back on. It then gets worse as he has family behind so keeps standing up and kneeling on the seat to speak to them regularly getting very close to me. This would be frustrating fit and well but when you have an exposed head that you are trying to protect its unbelievably irritating and unnerving. I argued to myself should I have asked the flight crew for some help but what would they have done and would it have made it worse? I managed to survive until landing when again phone fully in front of me filming out the window when we come to land. Once we have landed the guy then blatantly starts filming me and my head while on the phone to a family member, he spoke a different language so I couldn't understand. I was that angry by the time I got off this flight I have no idea what my blood pressure would have been and in truth if I was fit and well I would have been much more direct in stating his behaviour is unacceptable but as you feel vulnerable and want to avoid conflict at all costs puts you in a very difficult spot.

I hope this is a worst case by far and luckily didn't lead to any damage but wow was a challenging flight

• Angry 1

20 hours ago, RobsHair16 said:

@wprevil sure no problem, I have posted my whole experience on another post if it is of any help.

But in terms of the flight probably like most of us flown hundreds of times, had those more challenging flights but you tend to get on with it, difference this time for me was I'd just spent a lot of money and gone through a lot to get this stage and didn't want it ruined. But in short all was fine from a transfer to the airport perspective, Istanbul as you'd expect is a busy airport you have to go through 3 security checkpoints and depending on your gate it can be quite a walk so again normally id be pacing through the airport no problem, but as you are trying to avoid a sweat it takes a little longer but no real problems.

For me biggest issue was the flight, I booked a window seat as I thought I won't need to move and the chance of anyone accidently catching me is pretty slim, I even thought before take off I might be in luck as the seat next to me was vacant but just as the last few passengers join guy and his wife get on next to me. Seemed friendly enough smiled I said hello, thought this was going to be alright. He then started moaning to the attendant he wanted a window seat, obviously wasn't going to happen as it was a fairly full plane. To begin with he keeps taking photos / filming out the window putting this camera right in front of my face, no respect for boundaries and continues to do this despite me asking him to stop, he then turns the air con off above my head I said no I need this on, he must have messed with it no end of times during the flight and I kept turning it back on. It then gets worse as he has family behind so keeps standing up and kneeling on the seat to speak to them regularly getting very close to me. This would be frustrating fit and well but when you have an exposed head that you are trying to protect its unbelievably irritating and unnerving. I argued to myself should I have asked the flight crew for some help but what would they have done and would it have made it worse? I managed to survive until landing when again phone fully in front of me filming out the window when we come to land. Once we have landed the guy then blatantly starts filming me and my head while on the phone to a family member, he spoke a different language so I couldn't understand. I was that angry by the time I got off this flight I have no idea what my blood pressure would have been and in truth if I was fit and well I would have been much more direct in stating his behaviour is unacceptable but as you feel vulnerable and want to avoid conflict at all costs puts you in a very difficult spot.

I hope this is a worst case by far and luckily didn't lead to any damage but wow was a challenging flight

Hey dude.. very very sorry to read about your nasty experience with that idiot. Unfortunately thats the luck of the drawer as you will never know who gets to sit next to you on the plane and what their temperament will be. You had no clue this was going to happen. This idiot who was seated next to you should have had his whole neck twisted off. Had I accompanied you on the flight, I wouldve roared at him without holding anything back, and wouldnt care what the other passengers thought. I can only imagine how much your blood was boiling and the murderous thoughts you mustve entertained.

Although you were on the flight from hell, at least you maintained your composure in avoiding conflict for your transplant's sake which I highly commend you for. You deserve a prize in patience and did the right thing under the ugly circumstances.

Btw, did you wear a bandana or medical cap on the flight home? Its important for me to know!

On 10/30/2023 at 12:06 PM, RobsHair16 said:

wow, reading this, business class might be recommendable. or some airlines have economy plus etc

Aha, honestly the thoughts I had ranged from full on losing it to telling passport control he had something he shouldn't in his bag but luckily I kept my cool which was definitely for the best lol thanks for the kind words of support though :)

In terms of bandana / Headband I didn't wear one travelling home as the clinic advised to remove on the third day, entirely up to you, but on reflection I would have left on longer. Reason for this being by around the 3rd day your swelling is at its worst and for me it moved down to my eyes and while not painful was quite uncomfortable to open my eyes. For the flight back I would say headband, travel pillow (stops head touching seat) and make sure to take a pack of antihistamines as stops any itching.

When do you head out?

Flew back the day after and spent like 9 hours straight in between flights and cabs after waking up. 

Still managed to protect all my grafts with some help via wheelchair assistance and also my parent who helped me along the way. 

I always moved very slowly to the point of being careful enough not to bump. 

I couldn't believe myself on how quick it actually went lol.