DUPA or Telogen Effluvium - PLEASE NEED AN EXPERT HELP

Hello,

I recently underwent a hair transplant procedure after being diagnosed with genetic alopecia, primarily based on a visual assessment by a dermatologist. I had been taking Finasteride for two years before deciding to have a Trichoscope examination.

During the Trichoscope examination, the doctor's notes (you can read them in English at the bottom of the attached photo) suggested a possible diagnosis of Telogen Effluvium. While this was a term I wasn't familiar with, I was relieved that the doctor didn't mention significant hair miniaturization, worsening hair loss, or the ineffectiveness of my medication. I must admit that at the time, I didn't give it much thought.

This was my first and only Trichoscope examination, which I had never undergone before starting Finasteride treatment. About three months later, I sought a hair transplant with a different doctor. During the examination, this new doctor mentioned some miniaturization in my donor area. I then showed him the document indicating the possibility of Telogen Effluvium.

The doctor explained that the miniaturization in the donor area could be due to Telogen Effluvium or the effects of DHT on some of my hair follicles. I ultimately underwent a successful hair transplant.

Upon returning home, I delved into extensive research about donor areas and miniaturization. My panic set in when I discovered information about DUPA (Diffuse Unpatterned Alopecia) and the recommendation that individuals with DUPA should avoid hair transplants. This revelation has left me in a state of anxiety, as I now wonder whether I might have DUPA instead of Telogen Effluvium. Strangely, I had never perceived thinning in my back hair; my primary concern had always been my receding hairline. I can't recall experiencing any noticeable excess shedding; my hair loss has consistently followed a slow and gradual progression.

It's important to note that I've always had very fine, wispy, and wavy hair.

I'm reaching out to this community in search of knowledgeable experts who can interpret the Trichoscope results and offer insights into whether I might have DUPA or Telogen Effluvium. Is it common for individuals with genetic alopecia to exhibit some degree of miniaturization in the donor area?

Thank you in advance for any assistance or guidance you can provide.

PS: Below, you'll find a few samples of my donor hair. One set of images shows my hair at a longer length, while the other set was taken after I had a fresh haircut at the hairdresser's. It's worth noting that all of these pictures were captured before my hair transplant.Trichoskope.JPG.66437ea8641d2955488282cf250875b0.JPG

spot2.JPG.7f401a62661f12338bad3aeef6394cf3.jpeg

20230927_134450.thumb.jpg.1102ddb4d130df7453d93ec5b7852cd4.jpg

20230503_183011.jpg.8b0d5be9380111dfa2f30492c37bb392.jpg

• 5 months later...

How could that be DUPA? Most the hairs you have are thick. You have a ngeligeable amount of thin hairs, and some "mid" hairs. Your donor area, which comprise the temporal and occipital regions contain mostly thick hair. Average hair thickness is 60 microns. Nothing points towards DUPA. 

It really has nothing to do with how thick the hair looks in the donor. You can have 20% miniturization and that classifies as Dupa and is hard to detect with the naked eye. I have Dupa and mine looks somewhat thick. I’m not saying OP has it im just saying you can’t go off of how it looks only. 

92876590-F12C-4069-9415-1A642172ABF4.png

254A613C-BC2C-4DC7-909A-B0FFDF8325F7.png

11 minutes ago, Recession1 said:

It really has nothing to do with how thick the hair looks in the donor. You can have 20% miniturization and that classifies as Dupa and is hard to detect with the naked eye. I have Dupa and mine looks somewhat thick. I’m not saying OP has it im just saying you can’t go off of how it looks only. 

92876590-F12C-4069-9415-1A642172ABF4.png

254A613C-BC2C-4DC7-909A-B0FFDF8325F7.png

You do not have DUPA. end of story. 

7 minutes ago, Recession1 said:

I 100% do. Dr Rassman who came up with DUPA did a microscopic evaluation and densiometer on me and I do have it. 

No one is going to change your mind, and your statement will not change mine. And as I said in the other post, go get a real report and post it, not some crumby test.