should i get FUT or FUE, to maximize hair gains long term?

i’m currently 19 years old, on minoxidil and finasteride for prevention. i’ve attached pictures of both my hairline and donor area. i plan on getting a hair transplant around the ages 23/24. wondering if i should get an FUT or FUE, i’m particularly nervous about the operation and healing times with an FUT but was wondering, is the results difference that big of a deal between FUT and FUE? i want to maximize the amount of grafts in my donor i’ll be able to use long term, so would an FUT then future FUEs be a good idea? however, if the result difference between FUE and FUT is hardly noticeable, i’d likely go with an FUE.

anyone have any input or personal experiences? 

70D86B56-97B6-48DE-BD85-7FB3812B4C5B.jpeg

5DD8D064-C52D-4740-BC1C-AAD5D2A8CCC9.jpeg

CEFE7D0C-96B6-44BC-825B-A4FA7D6115EA.jpeg

E961BB89-AD37-4251-930F-6F19DE2523FC.jpeg

5C023675-32B2-4F06-A6F2-F9D5872578EF.jpeg

99270406-B966-42D8-8837-C6522F805639.jpeg

If you want to maximize your donor and you dont mind having a linear scar on the back of your head then yes fut is the way to go with it. The healing phase for the first to weeks after surgery is i would say the same regardless fut or fue. The most crucial part is making the right decision on the doctor who is gonna operate on you too.

At this age and with this type of hair it is waaaaay toooooo early even thinking about having a hairtransplant. The best thing that you can do right now is staying on medication and try topreserve your hair for as long as you can. After the age of 25 would be the earliest to think about hairtransplant but the most important thing is to get a hairtransplant at the point where you have stabilised your hairloss or developed the final pattern of your hairloss.

If at the age of 25 your hair still look like this then its also too early to get a ahirtransplant. What i am trying to say is that you have to postpone it and preserve your hair for as long as you can with medication.

2 hours ago, jjalay said:

If you want to maximize your donor and you dont mind having a linear scar on the back of your head then yes fut is the way to go with it. The healing phase for the first to weeks after surgery is i would say the same regardless fut or fue. The most crucial part is making the right decision on the doctor who is gonna operate on you too.

At this age and with this type of hair it is waaaaay toooooo early even thinking about having a hairtransplant. The best thing that you can do right now is staying on medication and try topreserve your hair for as long as you can. After the age of 25 would be the earliest to think about hairtransplant but the most important thing is to get a hairtransplant at the point where you have stabilised your hairloss or developed the final pattern of your hairloss.

If at the age of 25 your hair still look like this then its also too early to get a ahirtransplant. What i am trying to say is that you have to postpone it and preserve your hair for as long as you can with medication.

i understand that but at this point, i’m willing to take my chances. my hair line has roughly been like this since 14 and i honestly just want to be able to have a nice hairline and be able to actually have a hairstyle i want without worrying about it exposing my hairline. so at that age i plan on getting a transplant and if in the years to come it turns out bad, i’ll do as much transplants as i can to save it, and then ultimately opt for smp if it doesn’t work. i appreciate your comment, and that makes me feel better about getting fut. if i do get it, i will likely get smp on the scar, to hide it. along with any small scars i would also get from fue as i want to maximize the appearance of full thick hair

Edited by zenmu

• Valued Contributor

It depends on your genetics and hair loss in the coming years. Do you have family members who have/had MPB? If so, what pattern was their hair loss? If you maintain your hair in the future and your required graft count is low then FUE could be a good decision. If you have a large area to cover then FUT may be a better option.