DHT the main cause of AGA hair loss?

Maybe a stupid question, but if lack of blood flow also causes miniaturization, why do we always point out DHT as the main cause of AGA hair loss? Finasteride seems to be the first advice given to men with hair loss.

Can causes of someones hair loss be differentiated under a microscope, by blood tests, or other types of research?

We really don't know the exact mechanism by which DHT causes hair loss, but my understanding is that the "consensus opinion" is that the DHT binds to the hair follicle and somehow that causes a restriction in blood flow. What's odd about this is that DHT binding to the hair follicle PROMOTES hair growth in literally every other hair follicle on the body..... There is a lot we don't know about hair loss and a lot of contradictions in certain models, so it's definitely not a dumb question. 

So for some guys DHT could be the main culprit of hair loss, but for other guys it's theoretically possible that they might have vascular miniaturization from other causes that contribute more to their hair loss than DHT binding. 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cory said:

Maybe a stupid question, but if lack of blood flow also causes miniaturization, why do we always point out DHT as the main cause of AGA hair loss? Finasteride seems to be the first advice given to men with hair loss.

Can causes of someones hair loss be differentiated under a microscope, by blood tests, or other types of research?

Most people when using medication to improve blood flow to the scalp see their hair thicken.

Most people when using medication to decrease DHT levels see their hair loss slow down.

I once heard it described as fertiliser and pesticide; the hairs will miniaturise and eventually die unless you reduce DHT (kill the pests) Increased blood flow will give the appearance of more hair for longer as it'll be thicker (fertilise the crop).

Usually the pattern of loss can be used to identify MPB.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

We really don't know the exact mechanism by which DHT causes hair loss, but my understanding is that the "consensus opinion" is that the DHT binds to the hair follicle and somehow that causes a restriction in blood flow. What's odd about this is that DHT binding to the hair follicle PROMOTES hair growth in literally every other hair follicle on the body..... There is a lot we don't know about hair loss and a lot of contradictions in certain models, so it's definitely not a dumb question. 

So for some guys DHT could be the main culprit of hair loss, but for other guys it's theoretically possible that they might have vascular miniaturization from other causes that contribute more to their hair loss than DHT binding. 

yep, does not make sense. DHT helps body hair, but kills scalp hair, using a DHT blocker will increase your hair count on your scalp but you can see a significant change in your body hair (Decrease).

Finasteride literally killed all my chest and belly hair

15 minutes ago, Youth_Again said:

yep, does not make sense. DHT helps body hair, but kills scalp hair, using a DHT blocker will increase your hair count on your scalp but you can see a significant change in your body hair (Decrease).

Finasteride literally killed all my chest and belly hair

I remember actually, you DM'd me a picture and the difference was  night and day in terms of your chest hair. Did you get any other sides or just the stark decrease in body hair? 

3 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

I remember actually, you DM'd me a picture and the difference was  night and day in terms of your chest hair. Did you get any other sides or just the stark decrease in body hair? 

that was the only noticeable side I got from it. Did not really monitor any other side. Never had any low libido or trouble on that side. Btw oral min has increased my body hair but not back to baseline, still lower amount to what i used to have before taking fin few years ago

Edited by Youth_Again

16 hours ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

Most people when using medication to improve blood flow to the scalp see their hair thicken.

Most people when using medication to decrease DHT levels see their hair loss slow down.

I once heard it described as fertiliser and pesticide; the hairs will miniaturise and eventually die unless you reduce DHT (kill the pests) Increased blood flow will give the appearance of more hair for longer as it'll be thicker (fertilise the crop).

Usually the pattern of loss can be used to identify MPB.

That sounds like a plausible analogy

The fact DHT prevents scalp hair while increasing body hair is known as the 'Androgenic Paradox' .

We don't know the exact mechanism yet. Potentially something to do with the WNT pathway which studies have show reduces the effect of DHT.

A doctor who's name rhymes with 'Pole" used to sell a topical spray that targeted this.

Point is there are downstream effects of DHT that need to be discovered.

Edited by BurnieBurns
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Very interesting, yet confusing!

But wouldn't this logic mean that body hair isn't really suitable for implanting in the scalp, while taking DHT blockers, as transplanted follicles are donor dominant?

2 hours ago, Cory said:

Very interesting, yet confusing!

But wouldn't this logic mean that body hair isn't really suitable for implanting in the scalp, while taking DHT blockers, as transplanted follicles are donor dominant?

As with everything, it depends.

For me finesteride significantly reduced body hair. This is not always the case, but its one of the reasons why people should be on medication long before a transplant - to attempt to stop loss, strengthen donor and scalp hair and establish whether body hair can be used or not.

• Like 1