Minoxidil Before or After Hair Transplant

Hi all,

Long time lurker and occasional poster here.

I've been contemplating the use of minoxidil (oral) in relation to a hair transplant, and I'd love to get some insights from the community.

Here are some arguments for both sides:

**Using Minoxidil Before Hair Transplant:** (1) **Strengthen Existing Hair**, (2) **Delay the Need for Transplant** (3) **Maximize Donor Area Usage** 

**Using Minoxidil After Hair Transplant:** (1) **Enhance Transplanted Hair Growth** (2) **Minimize Shock Loss** (3) **Overall Improvement** 

As for me personally, I'm on Fin for 6 years and I've mostly maintained. Lately my hair is starting to look thin and I've noticed an increase in shedding.

This could be because of stress and that i had COVID a few weeks back and since the seasons change now I will wait a few weeks before i make judgment.

I plan to get an hair transplant in the future but wasn't sure about when is the RIGHT time to add another treatment - could be minoxidil, dut or even RU.

Thank you for your time and replies!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cpfm said:

Hi all,

Long time lurker and occasional poster here.

I've been contemplating the use of minoxidil (oral) in relation to a hair transplant, and I'd love to get some insights from the community.

Here are some arguments for both sides:

**Using Minoxidil Before Hair Transplant:** (1) **Strengthen Existing Hair**, (2) **Delay the Need for Transplant** (3) **Maximize Donor Area Usage** 

**Using Minoxidil After Hair Transplant:** (1) **Enhance Transplanted Hair Growth** (2) **Minimize Shock Loss** (3) **Overall Improvement** 

As for me personally, I'm on Fin for 6 years and I've mostly maintained. Lately my hair is starting to look thin and I've noticed an increase in shedding.

This could be because of stress and that i had COVID a few weeks back and since the seasons change now I will wait a few weeks before i make judgment.

I plan to get an hair transplant in the future but wasn't sure about when is the RIGHT time to add another treatment - could be minoxidil, dut or even RU.

Thank you for your time and replies!

Yes, I do agree with your arguments that you've mentioned for both sides. After my HT I'm on oral minoxidil of 2.5mg daily. It was suggested by the Dr. Mainly to improve the donor. So far Result has been pretty good. Moreover, my beard hair also improved. If you want to start the oral minoxidil, I would suggest that you should do it under the supervision of a doctor to avoid any possible issues which can arise.