Behavior of beard to scalp grafts

chief10

I have a question for those of you who have had beard to scalp grafts done in your own procedures.

At what point, if any, did they start feeling and looking like scalp hair or like scalp-to-scalp grafts? Or can you still tell a difference? I had another hair transplant several months ago and had about 500 beard to scalp grafts placed. There's definitely a different feel and look to them. They're all in the vertex and crown so it isn't a huge deal and I'm honestly just happy that there's coverage in the back of the scalp now, but my understanding is that they would eventually start behaving more like "normal" scalp hair based on what I've seen from others but maybe I'm mistaken.

Edited by chief10
wording

• Moderators

On myself it takes about 2 to 3 years for it to get to where it's very close to acting like scalp hair where you wouldn't be able to tell the difference except for a few stubborn hairs that don't want to fully give up their beard and chest characteristics yet, but they are slowly coming around. I've found that using a conditioner helps a lot in making it softer and straighter. I shampoo, rinse, then put conditioner in and leave that for a few minutes while I continue showering and then rinse the conditioner out at the end of my shower. That seems to work best for me.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.