Finasteride and Minoxidil Policy Amongst the Top Hair Transplant Doctors

Hi everyone,

Since this community focuses on the practices and knowledge of the very top experts of the field, I’d like to ask if it is known (or just a general sense of the trend) if that cohort of hair transplant doctors are more or less likely to recommend the use of finasteride and/or minoxidil after a hair transplant.  Which of the two is the more likely recommendation, if they recommend it?  And is there any meaningful portion of them that more than recommend them but insist in their usage?

Thank you for any insight.

10 hours ago, Vesperian said:

Hi everyone,

Since this community focuses on the practices and knowledge of the very top experts of the field, I’d like to ask if it is known (or just a general sense of the trend) if that cohort of hair transplant doctors are more or less likely to recommend the use of finasteride and/or minoxidil after a hair transplant.  Which of the two is the more likely recommendation, if they recommend it?  And is there any meaningful portion of them that more than recommend them but insist in their usage?

Thank you for any insight.

Both. 

I would also say both are recommended however if it comes down to choosing just one or the other, most would choose finasteride.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks for the insights so far.

6 hours ago, LeveledUp said:

Both ideally.

Although I know Dr Bisinga has said If patients are reluctant to finasteride or are older patients he just prescribes oral minoxidil and has seen success.

Do you know if Dr. Disinga supports usage of topical versions of minoxidil, finasteride, or dutasteride?

30 minutes ago, Bucky O Hair said:

I had multiple consultations with the top surgeons recommended on this board, and I was surprised at the range of answers I received.

Very different from what the general consensus is on this forum.

Were more inclined towards a certain direction?

What’s the general consensus on this forum?

6 minutes ago, Vesperian said:

Were more inclined towards a certain direction?

What’s the general consensus on this forum?

From what I've gathered, the general consensus on this board is that you should be on Finasteride and Minoxidil (ideally both orally).  Many are using Dutasteride too, in addition to Finasteride, however I think Dutasteride users are still in the minority.  

The docs I spoke with were kind of all over the place.  Only some of them asked if I was even on anything.  One was completely against Minox and pretty much said it was junk.  Another was against Finasteride and no longer prescribes it.  One was very into topicals (instead of oral meds) and offered to prescribe oral Dutasteride. 

I think ultimately the docs are focused on hair transplants, so they won't really get into the drug regimen talk. 

1 minute ago, Bucky O Hair said:

From what I've gathered, the general consensus on this board is that you should be on Finasteride and Minoxidil (ideally both orally).  Many are using Dutasteride too, in addition to Finasteride, however I think Dutasteride users are still in the minority.  

The docs I spoke with were kind of all over the place.  Only some of them asked if I was even on anything.  One was completely against Minox and pretty much said it was junk.  Another was against Finasteride and no longer prescribes it.  One was very into topicals (instead of oral meds) and offered to prescribe oral Dutasteride. 

I think ultimately the docs are focused on hair transplants, so they won't really get into the drug regimen talk. 

That’s very interesting.  Thank you.

By any chance did the doc who was very against Minox go into why they thought it was junk?  Was it strictly about efficacy or also side effects?

I think most, if not all would tell you that finesteride (or dutasteride) and minoxidyl will have a positive effect on your hair.

Where it becomes more murky is whether they believe they're of enough benefit to balance the side effects.

When I spoke to the surgeon who performed my second surgery he advised against oral minox and oral dutasteride because of the side effects (he was concerned about heart health for minox and hadn't seen enough data on the long term effects of using dutasteride to be confident to recommend it).

I'm of the same opinion, but believe my results would improve on both. I'm not sure that's a logical conclusion, but it's what I feel comfortable with any appreciate where others have made different choices.

Edited by BackFromTheBrink

25 minutes ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

I think most, if not all would tell you that finesteride (or dutasteride) and minoxidyl will have a positive effect on your hair.

Where it becomes more murky is whether they believe they're of enough benefit to balance the side effects.

When I spoke to the surgeon who performed my second surgery he advised against oral minox and oral dutasteride because of the side effects (he was concerned about heart health for minox and hadn't seen enough data on the long term effects of using dutasteride to be confident to recommend it).

Thanks for the additional perspective.  That surgeon’s caution adds yet more to my indecision on these drugs usage.  And wasn’t aware (or forgot) there is a heart health risk associated with minox.

4 minutes ago, Vesperian said:

Thanks for the additional perspective.  That surgeon’s caution adds yet more to my indecision on these drugs usage.  And wasn’t aware (or forgot) there is a heart health risk associated with minox.

The challenge is that we all react differently to the medication so our approach is generally just as personal.

I'm often torn on oral minox. I could start with a very low dose and have my heart monitored before and during use to understand if it affects me at all. I'm pretty sure it doesn't affect many people.

However, I don't fancy body hair growing more quickly (on my arms etc) and since that's a common side effect (I believe), it puts me off.