Is that a lost graft ?

• Youth_Again changed the title to Is that a lost graft ?

@Youth_Again,

At seven days postop, the newly transplanted follicles are deeply rooted underneath the surface of the scalp and could not be dislodged without surgery. Therefore, what you are seeing is likely just the hair shaft along with a scab and not the root of the follicle.  Patients who lose newly transplanted grafts typically experience pain and blood in the area where the graft was dislodged and this what only be in the first couple of days anyway. Like I said at seven days postop, it would be almost impossible to lose a graft without undergoing surgery.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

5 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@Youth_Again,

At seven days postop, the newly transplanted follicles are deeply rooted underneath the surface of the scalp and could not be dislodged without surgery. Therefore, what you are seeing is likely just the hair shaft along with a scab and not the root of the follicle.  Patients who lose newly transplanted grafts typically experience pain and blood in the area where the graft was dislodged and this what only be in the first couple of days anyway. Like I said at seven days postop, it would be almost impossible to lose a graft without undergoing surgery.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Awesome, thanks for the clear answer 🙏

Day 7 + No blood + no pain = Lost hair ≠ Lost Folicle.

I freaked out at day 11 for aparently blowing up a pimple but didnt lose any hairs then I obsessed over the area and monitored the grafts close to it till death and they staid till shedding 1 week later.

I know the first few days post op are a bit stressfull but try to not stress over too much and if there is something that draws your concearn just text the clinic. 

Plus I had some of those on ocasion, its just the hair but the root is perfectly safe.

1 hour ago, TheGreatPretender said:

Day 7 + No blood + no pain = Lost hair ≠ Lost Folicle.

I freaked out at day 11 for aparently blowing up a pimple but didnt lose any hairs then I obsessed over the area and monitored the grafts close to it till death and they staid till shedding 1 week later.

I know the first few days post op are a bit stressfull but try to not stress over too much and if there is something that draws your concearn just text the clinic. 

Plus I had some of those on ocasion, its just the hair but the root is perfectly safe.

Ok sounds good I’ll try to stay stress free 

• Like 1

No, it is just a hair. And hair follicle its actually skin. What we call hair transplantation is in fact skin transplantation. 

Similar situation is with nails. Imagine that you break a nail, Would you be scared that it won't grow back? No 😅

On 9/18/2023 at 8:21 AM, Youth_Again said:

Just wondering if that is a lost graft, seems like there is the bulb, I am a bit worried.

7 days post op, the scab seemed to detached

IMG_9218.jpeg

That’s a crust…nothing to worry about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

21 hours ago, GeneralNorwood said:

No, it is just a hair. And hair follicle its actually skin. What we call hair transplantation is in fact skin transplantation. 

Similar situation is with nails. Imagine that you break a nail, Would you be scared that it won't grow back? No 😅

I was so scared it was an actual follicle 

Hair follicles can be thought in terms of tiny organs…why?….because just like any other body organ, hair follicles serve a function and purpose, they also require a blood supply or else they will not survive…hair follicles are transplanted in small amounts of body tissue which are called grafts to a new location or area of the scalp.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

It’s really hard to say. Could very well be a lost graft especially before day 9. Bernstein study showed grafts aren’t secure until day 9. 

I question the if you don’t see blood then you haven’t lost a graft. Blood comes out if there’s an injury but you can very well damage the graft from inside and kill it. The body has mechanisms to absorb dead cells/material and blood only comes out when skin is broken. 

At the same time worrying about individual grafts is pointless. What can you do if you know it’s a dead graft? Nothing. What can you do if you know it’s just hair? Nothing. 

I don’t know who said this here recently but after HT, one should find himself somethings to keep busy. It’s a LOOOOOONGGG journey