Miniaturization

I just went to 2 different hair transplant doctors for consultations. Both of them put on their high power glasses and told me that I don’t have any miniaturization in my donor, crown, or midscalp. I have seen more hair shedding lately and when I feel my hair it just feels thinner and more limp than a couple years ago. When I look at individual hairs they look thinner than they once were. Are those high power glasses really that effective at spotting miniaturization or do they not tell the whole story? The only other thing I can think of is that i just don’t have the hair thickness I once did since I’m 35 now. Anybody have any insight on this? 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Recession1 said:

I just went to 2 different hair transplant doctors for consultations. Both of them put on their high power glasses and told me that I don’t have any miniaturization in my donor, crown, or midscalp. I have seen more hair shedding lately and when I feel my hair it just feels thinner and more limp than a couple years ago. When I look at individual hairs they look thinner than they once were. Are those high power glasses really that effective at spotting miniaturization or do they not tell the whole story? The only other thing I can think of is that i just don’t have the hair thickness I once did since I’m 35 now. Anybody have any insight on this? 

If two doctors that would make money telling you that you’re thinning, tell you you’re not. Then I would believe them. High magnification shows miniaturization.

I recall you thought you were going to be a Norwood 6 because of your dad, but that’s not how genetics work. You inherit genes from both parents, and sometimes genes are recessive. Which is why some guys might be bald and their dad might have a full head of hair, and vice versa.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Melvin, I agree with what you are saying… I was telling the doctors that I was concerned to proceed with frontal third surgery because I felt the rest of my hair was thinning behind the frontal third… so that is why I had them check for miniaturization. 

As far as not following my dads pattern I do understand that there are different genes at play and my moms side of the family kept most of the hair. I just have a hard time realizing that I might not follow my dads pattern…. He looked like a NW 3-4 in his late 30s and then went full blown nw6-7 by mid to late 40s. 

Yes I’m on Dutasteride… 

no he was not… but I don’t think meds are the holy grail… do I think they are important to slow things down… absolutely. If you are destined to reach NW 6 you are going to get there whether you take meds or not. Dutasteride and finasteride would be considered the cure if this was the case… you will still lose hair just at a slower rate. I have continued to thin and recede and I started on them 12 years ago. 

• Administrators

Norwood 6 will have signs of being a Norwood 6 even on dutasteride. I doubt your father was a true a Norwood 3. 

For example, Billy Joel here at 40

IMG_9211.webp

One would think he’s a Norwood 3, but he wasn’t. He was a diffuse Norwood 6. 

Billy again at 55

IMG_9212.webp

Now, one would think wow he went bald out of nowhere. WRONG. The signs were always there.

Again in different lighting at 40. Here you can see the sides are longer than the top. A telltale sign of miniaturization. I would bet the house your father was like this. 

image.jpeg

This isn’t you, you have no miniaturization even with wet hair. You’re a true Norwood 2/3. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

8 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Norwood 6 will have signs of being a Norwood 6 even on dutasteride. I doubt your father was a true a Norwood 3. 

For example, Billy Joel here at 40

IMG_9211.webp

One would think he’s a Norwood 3, but he wasn’t. He was a diffuse Norwood 6. 

Billy again at 55

IMG_9212.webp

Now, one would think wow he went bald out of nowhere. WRONG. The signs were always there.

Again in different lighting at 40. Here you can see the sides are longer than the top. A telltale sign of miniaturization. I would bet the house your father was like this. 

image.jpeg

This isn’t you, you have no miniaturization even with wet hair. You’re a true Norwood 2/3. 

at which age the balding pattern would have been visible to the doctors? 

Melvin, So with my current state of my hair with the doctors saying I don’t have any miniaturization and also none in my donor at the age of 35 it’s safe to say I won’t ever reach NW 6 so with that being say I should have the green light to be aggressive with hairline placement right? The surgeon said I have excellent donor and up to 8 to 10k grafts if I don’t go to NW 6 that coupled with body hair and being on meds and my age I should be able to get very aggressive correct? Not looking for guarantees just looking for opinion thanks 

• Administrators

I think, given your hair loss regimen, current hair loss, and age. Yes, you can be aggressive. Although, I think it’s foolish to go for a Ronald Reagan hairline.

View my thread

• Administrators
18 hours ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

at which age the balding pattern would have been visible to the doctors? 

I guarantee that Billy Joels miniaturization would have been visible under high magnification by age 35.

View my thread

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I guarantee that Billy Joels miniaturization would have been visible under high magnification by age 35.

I was gonna ask you if you thought he was on meds, but I guess given his current age of 74 and the timeline of your pics of him at 40 vs 55, I guess not. I am a diffuse nw6 that can be seen when buzzed down but not noticeable if my hair is a couple inches or longer, hoping meds keep it that way for many many years. I guess in his case though, at least he wasn’t noticeably bald till his 50s, presumably without meds at all.

It’s always hard to determine. I’m not always buying the age and nw 6 patterns while a lot of guys develop early there are lots of guys that develop late. My brother who is 38 is now showing NW6 pattern. He shaves his head and now it is is apparent. He shaved his head at 35 and 36 and he looked to be a NW 3. It didn’t hit him until 37. Even though I look fine now I’m confident I will develop NW 6 too… 

6 hours ago, Recession1 said:

It’s always hard to determine. I’m not always buying the age and nw 6 patterns while a lot of guys develop early there are lots of guys that develop late. My brother who is 38 is now showing NW6 pattern. He shaves his head and now it is is apparent. He shaved his head at 35 and 36 and he looked to be a NW 3. It didn’t hit him until 37. Even though I look fine now I’m confident I will develop NW 6 too… 

As someone who worries way too much myself, try not worry about it. You’re already on Dut, you’re basically doing the max you possibly can to prevent/delay balding. Not sure where you are in your journey but if you’re planning a first time HT just don’t go aggressive/too low with the hairline to save grafts. That’s probably a good idea for anyone honestly since MPB can be unpredictable for anyone.