Topical dutasteride+minoxidil shed

vortex898

Hi,

I know its 'normal' to have a shed when you are starting with hair medication (Topical dutasteride+minoxidil in this case). But I'm very worried and hope anyone can help me: Is it also 'normal' that you shed a lot of good, thick, long hairs in the donor area (back and side of the head). I'm experiencing this at the moment and starting to freak out. I even cried about it, so maby also starting to get depressed.

Hope anyone can answer this!

1 hour ago, vortex898 said:

Hi,

I know its 'normal' to have a shed when you are starting with hair medication (Topical dutasteride+minoxidil in this case). But I'm very worried and hope anyone can help me: Is it also 'normal' that you shed a lot of good, thick, long hairs in the donor area (back and side of the head). I'm experiencing this at the moment and starting to freak out. I even cried about it, so maby also starting to get depressed.

Hope anyone can answer this!

PS: Im not putting the topical on the back of my head or the sides..

• Valued Contributor

@vortex898

Dutasteride/Finasteride and Minoxidil are two common medications used to address hair loss. Dutasteride inhibits the production of a hormone called dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which is associated with hair loss. Minoxidil, on the other hand works by promoting blood flow to the hair follicles, thereby encouraging hair growth.

When you begin using Dutasteride or Minoxidil, you may notice an increase in hair shedding during the early stages of treatment. This might seem concerning , as the goal is to prevent hair loss or stimulate regrowth but what you are experiencing is the opposite. There are several factors contribute to this. 

Telogen effluvium -  Hair follicles have growth cycles, with phases of growth (anagen), rest (telogen), and shedding (catagen). When a hair follicle is stimulated to grow again (as with Minoxidil) or when DHT's influence is reduced (as with Dutasteride), some follicles in the resting phase may enter the shedding phase prematurely. This is known as telogen effluvium.

Shedding is often a sign that the hair follicles are making way for newer, healthier hair. The older, weaker hairs are pushed out to make room for the new ones. This process is part of the natural hair growth cycle.

The shedding typically occurs within the first few weeks/months of treatment and can be scary.However, it's essential to understand that this shedding phase is usually temporary. After this initial phase, many people begin to notice thicker and healthier hair growth as the newly stimulated follicles produce stronger hair.

To see the full benefits of Dutasteride and Minoxidil, it's crucial to continue using these medications as prescribed by a doctor and to remain patient. Hair regrowth is a gradual process, and results may take several months to become noticeable.

In short, the initial shedding experienced when using Dutasteride and Minoxidil is a normal part of the treatment process. It indicates that the medications are affecting the hair follicles and stimulating regrowth. While it can be concerning, it's usually temporary, and with consistent use, many people ultimately achieve thicker and healthier hair over time. Always consult with a good doctor who has more experience with hairs ,preferably a hair transplant surgeon before starting any hair loss treatment to determine the most suitable approach for your specific condition.

I hope this helps you to calm your nerves..best of luck.

• Sad 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

@A_4_Archan@Turkhair

Thank you for the reply. I know about the shed. But is it normal that I shed good hair on the sides and the back of my hair? Even when I’m not putting the topical solution on it? That’s the thing that freaks me out..

I just don’t want to lose good donor hair for a transplant.

9 hours ago, Turkhair said:

Minoxidil induces a very strong shed and yes totally normal.

Stop freaking out. 3-6 months minimum is where a normal cycle happens can even be dragged out to 12 months 

9 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

@vortex898

Dutasteride/Finasteride and Minoxidil are two common medications used to address hair loss. Dutasteride inhibits the production of a hormone called dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which is associated with hair loss. Minoxidil, on the other hand works by promoting blood flow to the hair follicles, thereby encouraging hair growth.

When you begin using Dutasteride or Minoxidil, you may notice an increase in hair shedding during the early stages of treatment. This might seem concerning , as the goal is to prevent hair loss or stimulate regrowth but what you are experiencing is the opposite. There are several factors contribute to this. 

Telogen effluvium -  Hair follicles have growth cycles, with phases of growth (anagen), rest (telogen), and shedding (catagen). When a hair follicle is stimulated to grow again (as with Minoxidil) or when DHT's influence is reduced (as with Dutasteride), some follicles in the resting phase may enter the shedding phase prematurely. This is known as telogen effluvium.

Shedding is often a sign that the hair follicles are making way for newer, healthier hair. The older, weaker hairs are pushed out to make room for the new ones. This process is part of the natural hair growth cycle.

The shedding typically occurs within the first few weeks/months of treatment and can be scary.However, it's essential to understand that this shedding phase is usually temporary. After this initial phase, many people begin to notice thicker and healthier hair growth as the newly stimulated follicles produce stronger hair.

To see the full benefits of Dutasteride and Minoxidil, it's crucial to continue using these medications as prescribed by a doctor and to remain patient. Hair regrowth is a gradual process, and results may take several months to become noticeable.

In short, the initial shedding experienced when using Dutasteride and Minoxidil is a normal part of the treatment process. It indicates that the medications are affecting the hair follicles and stimulating regrowth. While it can be concerning, it's usually temporary, and with consistent use, many people ultimately achieve thicker and healthier hair over time. Always consult with a good doctor who has more experience with hairs ,preferably a hair transplant surgeon before starting any hair loss treatment to determine the most suitable approach for your specific condition.

I hope this helps you to calm your nerves..best of luck.

7 hours ago, vortex898 said:

Thank you for the reply. I know about the shed. But is it normal that I shed good hair on the sides and the back of my hair? Even when I’m not putting the topical solution on it? That’s the thing that freaks me out..

I just don’t want to lose good donor hair for a transplant.

Yes that’s what a shed is. Hairs on your scalp will fall out to synchronise a hair cycle. 

Just because you don’t apply them to some area is irrelevant. Human skins are very permeable and excellent at absorbing, the min/dut combo gets absorbed into your skin/bloodstream and affect your whole body exerting its effect although where you apply the solution has the strongest effect because of higher concentration of drugs. 

Be happy about the shed because it means the drugs are working. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Turkhair said:

Yes that’s what a shed is. Hairs on your scalp will fall out to synchronise a hair cycle. 

Just because you don’t apply them to some area is irrelevant. Human skins are very permeable and excellent at absorbing, the min/dut combo gets absorbed into your skin/bloodstream and affect your whole body exerting its effect although where you apply the solution has the strongest effect because of higher concentration of drugs. 

Be happy about the shed because it means the drugs are working. 

Thank you for your reply. I really hope so.