once you stop finasterid - will you keep balding in the same speed as before or will hairloss catch up?

mr_peanutbutter

interesting question i found on reddit:

„imagine the following scenario

guy a is 25, norwood 2. he is destinied to be norwood 10 years later with 35 if he doesnt intervent medical.

luckily for him he starts finasterid and stops his hairloss. with 35 he is still norwood 2 and not norwood 5 like it was his genetic destiny. for some reasons he stops finasteride at that age. what will happen:

1) he starts receeding again but with the speed he had before he took fin. it needs another 10 years to give him a norwood 5

or 2)His hairloss catches up and he becomes norwood 5 within 6-12 months“

What is your thoughts on this?

would this guy really go from norwood 2 to norwood 5 within 6 months? 

Since we don't know an exact mechanism of loosing hair there is no straighforward answer. We can probably assume that you body has periods in which your hair loss is more and less agressive. So if after those 10 years his hair loss is not more agressive (than it was before taking meds) then I think his hair loss won't catch up that fast as you described. On the other hand, after those 10 yeas his hair loss might be more aggressive and then the outcomes would be different.

I think we should think about it as non regular process that is really hard to predict.

What's not clear to me is whether hair becomes more succeptible to DHT as we age or whether it's the long term exposure to DHT that results in miniturisation.

If it's succeptibility that changes you imagine the now fragile grafts would deteriorate quietly as DHT levels rise after the medication was stopped. If it's long term exposure, then you'd have effectively stopped the clock (or at least slowed it down).

We know that testosterone and therefore DHT lowers as we age, so the profile will be different regardless of the mechanism.

Edited by BackFromTheBrink

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/11/2023 at 11:47 AM, mr_peanutbutter said:

interesting question i found on reddit:

„imagine the following scenario

guy a is 25, norwood 2. he is destinied to be norwood 10 years later with 35 if he doesnt intervent medical.

luckily for him he starts finasterid and stops his hairloss. with 35 he is still norwood 2 and not norwood 5 like it was his genetic destiny. for some reasons he stops finasteride at that age. what will happen:

1) he starts receeding again but with the speed he had before he took fin. it needs another 10 years to give him a norwood 5

or 2)His hairloss catches up and he becomes norwood 5 within 6-12 months“

What is your thoughts on this?

would this guy really go from norwood 2 to norwood 5 within 6 months? 

image.jpeg.68d1c2a95240de5bd1904beaa6f6c788.jpeg

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJM199909233411307

found this on reddit

unfortunately i dont have access to the full study and it seems it limited to 24 months

my interpretation:

- the fin gainz gained in 12 months are lost in 12 months (expected)

- compared to the controll group (no fin at all) after 12 months the group which first took fin and then discontinued still has a higher haircount after 12 months of discontinuation

however the difference is very slight and the difference in the sloop of the declinecurve is quiet different in both groups. the one in the controll group is flatter while the other one is steep. if there wont be any changes the curves would meet very soon

tbh id have expected that the sloops lf both curves will become equal and parallel once the fin gainz in haircount got lost, but it doesnt appear to the case even though it cant be told for sure since the watched time frame isnt big enough

however that would be really a bummer if finasteride catch up not only mean that you will lose you new gained hair but also lose the hairs that you would have lost if you havent taken fin at all. 

as if your body had memory function that would tell your body hpw much hair you are supposed to have

ps: havent watched this but noted for later