Considerable med-related shedding. Delay HT appointment?

I started oral Finasteride on June 30th and oral Minoxidil on July 25th. One or both have caused me a significant amount of shedding. While that does suck for now, I take it as a good sign that the hair will look much better when it grows back in. Here's my dilemma: I have a major HT procedure (5500 FUEs) scheduled for Nov 7th. Would it be wise to postpone that for a few months and let the hair grow back in so the doctor has an accurate picture of what she is really dealing with? Or does the significant shedding not matter? 

Thoughts?

• Valued Contributor

@OdysseusThe shedding will stop soon and thats not an issue but usually its adviced to do a give medication at least 10 months before doing surgery as there is a chance that your hairloss can slow down ,stop or reverse ....even there is a chance that you can't tolerate medication and you have to stop that...so after seeing all the effects/side effects of medication the surgeon can plan your surgery in a better way...

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

Starting the initial use of finasteride can and many times will induce shedding, and so can minoxidil although finasteride is often times more prone to induce shedding…and it is highly advisable to wait until a new complete growth phase has occurred because the risk is a high rate of transection especially with 5500 new recipient incisions!…the shed hair follicles will on average rest in a dormant stage for approximately 3-4 months before entering a new growth phase!…so if you do the math, yes, November 7th is too early…if it were me, I would re-schedule for after the new year, like sometime in February which will give your hair a chance for a complete regrowth cycle.

• Like 3

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY