Surgery following hair transplant?

I have a hair transplant scheduled for May 8th but I’m also getting an implant put in my chin in July. Will having a surgery 2 months after a hair transplant make the transplant less effective? Sorry if the question seems ridiculous but I do know that surgery can cause telogen effluvium, I don’t know if anything else can occur. 

Edited by Wesgrifin

I don’t know about effectiveness. But the biggest concern should be pain. 

You have to lay down on your face when they’re extracting grafts and a lot of pressure put on your chin. Do you think you will be recovered enough after chin surgery to handle such pressure? 

Coupled that with the anesthetic, swelling after surgery all of that combined makes you pretty cramped and sore at times so it might make things very painful for you.

I don’t believe it will hinder your transplant results though if you eat good and get vitamins etc.

44 minutes ago, Emiry said:

I don’t know about effectiveness. But the biggest concern should be pain. 

You have to lay down on your face when they’re extracting grafts and a lot of pressure put on your chin. Do you think you will be recovered enough after chin surgery to handle such pressure? 

Coupled that with the anesthetic, swelling after surgery all of that combined makes you pretty cramped and sore at times so it might make things very painful for you.

I don’t believe it will hinder your transplant results though if you eat good and get vitamins etc.

Erm, the chin will be operated on 2 months after his hair.

• Haha 1

@Wesgrifin,

The below is my opinion based on my knowledge as a veteran a transplant patient, research and been in the field for over 15 years. Know that I am not a doctor so before you read my opinion below, it’s important that you take the bold line of text very seriously and rely on that over anything I or anyone on this forum says  

Please check with your hair transplant surgeon and the surgeon doing your chin implantation surgery to make sure there are no problems or potential conflicts that would reduce efficacy of one procedure or another, etc.  this includes procedural methodology, medications provided Prior to and after surgery, etc.Prior to and after surgery, etc.

Now, my opinion…

There shouldn’t be any problem in terms of healing, hair growth field or effectiveness of your hair transplant. In fact, if you are undergoing FUE hair transplant surgery, healing times are much faster than that of FUT and as a result, all the time you have you are implantation into your chin, I wouldn’t expect that you would feel any remaining discomfort or pain from your surgical hair restoration procedure.

Of course, hair transplant surgery takes up to a year to 18 months to fully grow in and mature.  Furthermore, any shock lol she experience may take up to six months to a year to return. There are other residual healing aspects related to the procedure that may extend a little longer than normal such as postoperative redness, inflammation , etc.  but even still, extended healing of these components shouldn’t interfere with your upcoming implantation procedure and vice versa.

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

I had surgery on my knee and was around ~3months when I had my hair transplant. 

obviously not the same, but I had no issues other than discomfort. but you can’t really work around that.

My best advice is to ask for breaks and a Valium or something to help you.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022