Should I hop back on Fin despite experiencing side effects?

TheDarkHour

I used fin about 4 years ago but experienced side effects such as watery semen, my penis shrivelling up and brain fog (the latter two which I did not know were side effects at the time). I was taking 1mg every day but quit and was also advised by a surgeon to quit due to the side effects I experienced as well as having gynecomastia.

I then started using topical minoxidil over the last two years and also added oral min (2.5 mg everyday) to my regimen.

I'm currently a NW2.5 at 29 and am going to have a transplant soon. My question is whether I should consider adding fin to my regimen again? Is there an ideal dose for people who have gyno and are sensitive to side effects? I heard that the drug builds up in your body overtime even at the lowest effective does and the topical version goes systemic easily. Only reason I'm considering taking the drug again is because both my dad and mum's side were NW7 by 45.

• Valued Contributor

@TheDarkHoursorry to hear about your experience regarding finasteride ...if you faced such issues and your doctor asked you to quit than you should not take it as you will probably face the same issues again...general health is more important than hairs...but i don't know why your doctor didn't advice you to try micro dosing..there are some people who are successful doing this where they set up such a small dosage which can help hairs but cut off that side effects ...finding a right balance is very important with medication and people can follow personalised approach(dosage)...

Topical finasteride don't absorb easily and less % goes systematic(though this depends on various factors)....i would say topical medication has the least side effects and its more likely that you can tolerate it easily...actually finasteride plays an important role as it helps to slow down/stop your hairloss progression which is very important....so i would say you can try the topical version after consulting your surgeon and see how it goes...i hope this helps you ..best of luck ...

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023