FLYING HOME: Bandages, seat headrest, walking thorugh airport...

Im seeing Dr Gur in SEP, wondering about flying and walking around with the bandages etc, how to keep it all sanitary on the airplane headrest etc, can I wear a hoodie or something covering my head?

Edited by a3buster

• Valued Contributor

@a3busterUse travel neck pillow and you can use bandana to cover your head...they will give you saline spray which you can use every 2-3 hours to keep the scalp clean and hygienic ...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

I have flown 2x now the day after surgery. You will be surprised how little other people will care about you at the airport. Everyone is stressed out and in their own little world, and you won't see any of these people ever again. No one will care about your hair transplant. Even people sitting next to you on the plane won't care. 

Worst case, you will have a few children staring at you, but even then you shouldnt care if some 5 year old is giving you a few quick glances 🤣

Definitely keep all necessary bandages on. But even then, you really shouldn't be actively bleeding a ton after surgery. 

A travelers pillow is optional depending on how long your flight is. If it is like 4 hours or less its probably not needed. 

It will be too soon to wear a hat. But ask your clinic for a surgeon cap (if they don't already provide you one) and that should be enough covering. 

Be careful to not bump your head on the overhead luggage compartments, but that is just common sense and applies whether you fly out 1 day after or a few days after. 

You may have to go to the bathroom multiple times on the plane to apply the saline spray, but again no one else will care about this and its just not a big deal. 

In short - flying post HT is not as bad as you may be imagining. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I have flown 2x now the day after surgery. You will be surprised how little other people will care about you at the airport. Everyone is stressed out and in their own little world, and you won't see any of these people ever again. No one will care about your hair transplant. Even people sitting next to you on the plane won't care. 

Worst case, you will have a few children staring at you, but even then you shouldnt care if some 5 year old is giving you a few quick glances 🤣

Definitely keep all necessary bandages on. But even then, you really shouldn't be actively bleeding a ton after surgery. 

A travelers pillow is optional depending on how long your flight is. If it is like 4 hours or less its probably not needed. 

It will be too soon to wear a hat. But ask your clinic for a surgeon cap (if they don't already provide you one) and that should be enough covering. 

Be careful to not bump your head on the overhead luggage compartments, but that is just common sense and applies whether you fly out 1 day after or a few days after. 

You may have to go to the bathroom multiple times on the plane to apply the saline spray, but again no one else will care about this and its just not a big deal. 

In short - flying post HT is not as bad as you may be imagining. 

I didn’t leave my seat to spray my head, didn’t give a hoot, spraying up my seat isle 🤣🤣💦💦 

• Like 1
  • Well Done 1

I left not day immediately following surgery, but one day after that, so second day after procedure.

Dr Nader let me know he strongly encourages if at all possible for first day post procedure to be as restful as possible so stress and random chances for head bumps etc are as low as possible.

Flying home on day 2, it was a total non issue.

I was pretty stressed thinking everyone was going to be staring at me constantly and truly, nobody batted an eye. That was for 2 different flight legs and one plane changeover.

Dr N also said airplane lavatories are about the most bacteria-ridden place on earth so highly recommended I spray anywhere other than that during the travel, which I did (very easy to do discretely even right in your seat).

Edited by jfally

I flew home 48 hours after surgery. My recipient was all scabbed up. I wore a very loose fitting bucket hat that did not touch the grafts at all. The worst part is if the airport workers have to call their manager cause your face is swollen, but besides that it was no big deal.

Edited by lunchables

• Valued Contributor
17 minutes ago, BaldBobby said:

Even if you’re in the middle seat? 😁

I actually was in the middle seat! It was too much hassle to get up all the time on a 13 hour flight. When I did get up to use the toilet I had to wait and started talking to the flight steward. I told him about my hair transplant and he told me that he was actually taking Finasteride! We kept chatting and he bumped me up to first class! I’ve mentioned this before. True story! You only have to lean forward and lightly spray. 

• Like 1