Shock loss or overharbesting ?

Hello, i would like to ask whether the condition you see in the pictures is shock loss or overharvesting? I went through my first HT in Istanbul 17.6.23. it is been now about 44 days since the operation. about 5000 grafts were taken. I hoped i could go for my second HT to get the crown area also fixed, but looking at the situation in my donor area, O feel i would be very glad to get it fixed. what do you think? the clinic says it is a normal shock loss which well get better and better in a couple of month. the problem as you see primarly is only in one side (left side above my ear). I attached also a pic of how the recepient area looked like after my first 10 days. do you recommend me to use finastrid or minoxidil to fix the donor area if it is a shock loss? thanks a lot! 

btw. i attached also 2 or 3 pic a 35 days after the HT. it was even worse than now. 

IMG_4413.jpeg

IMG_4412.jpeg

IMG_4411.jpeg

IMG_4410.jpeg

IMG_4334.jpeg

IMG_4329.jpeg

IMG_4337.jpeg

IMG_4170.jpeg

Edited by Mido Hassan

I hope so.. i so a couple of very nice donor areas after even a month, so i am a bit confused and  afriad to be honest. the clinic is SMC. the clinic was great to be honest, the staf, the director and the medical personel. I have nothing to complain about, I only need to be sure if the current condition is normal. thanks for your response. M

Hi, do you have any pictures of your donor taken right after the procedure? That might help us see whether or not you were overharvested. 

It will get better than this for sure, but I can't tell you how much better. 

• Valued Contributor

@Mido Hassan at this stage nothing can be judged ...donor area will take time to heal ...there are many people who get such a shock loss and they  take 6/7 months for the recovery...so give it more time and medication ofcourse would help with this...

• Thanks 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

hi, thanks for your response! In deed i do not have the best pic of the donor area, especially the side i see problem with ( the left one). posting what i have (3. day during the first wash, then the 4. day). all seems nice for me except the left side :/. 

Edited by Mido Hassan

51 minutes ago, kiwik said:

Hi, do you have any pictures of your donor taken right after the procedure? That might help us see whether or not you were overharvested. 

It will get better than this for sure, but I can't tell you how much better. 

hi, i have a couple of photos but they are not the best ones. they are 2 days and 4 days after. i do not have a 2days old pic of the left side (where i see the “problem” but it is seen in 4 days old pic. thanks a lot for the response

IMG_4421.jpeg

IMG_4422.png

IMG_4423.jpeg

IMG_4420.jpeg

21 minutes ago, A_4_Archan said:

@Mido Hassan at this stage nothing can be judged ...donor area will take time to heal ...there are many people who get such a shock loss and they  take 6/7 months for the recovery...so give it more time and medication ofcourse would help with this...

I am a bit confused because i ve seen great results even 2 weeks after the procedure. Probably it varies. should i take finastride or minoxidil in this phase? will it help the donor area to overcome the shockloss if it is a shockloss? thanks! 

3 hours ago, BaldBobby said:

too early to tell...what clinic?

I hope so.. i so a couple of very nice donor areas after even a month, so i am a bit confused and  afriad to be honest. the clinic is SMC. the clinic was great to be honest, the staf, the director and the medical personel. I have nothing to complain about, I only need to be sure if the current condition is normal. thanks for your response. M

IMHO the pics seem to validate more shock loss than over-harvesting though it is way too early to tell…only time will tell…it’s best to allow the scalp to heal and repair itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

It might be a bit of both, although there is no exact definition of overharvesting. Except for someone with a really exceptional donor, extracting 5000 grafts will always leave some noticeable difference in density, and you'll have to wear your hair a little longer than in the pictures. What I can tell you for sure is that it's going to get better! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kiwik said:

It might be a bit of both, although there is no exact definition of overharvesting. Except for someone with a really exceptional donor, extracting 5000 grafts will always leave some noticeable difference in density, and you'll have to wear your hair a little longer than in the pictures. What I can tell you for sure is that it's going to get better! 

Do you think some medication could help it to get better soon, or it makes no difference? some minixidil or finastride? I honestly counted with some change in the density, but i hoped i could wear my hair short if i decieded to. I can not imagine the same technicians could overharvest one side only, as the rest of my donor area is very nice! hope it is getting better! thanks man!

Finasteride won't make any difference on your donor, but minoxidil might help it grow back faster. If you're fine with how the rest of your donor looks at this length, then you should be fine with this side as well once the shock lost hair has grown back! :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kiwik said:

Finasteride won't make any difference on your donor, but minoxidil might help it grow back faster. If you're fine with how the rest of your donor looks at this length, then you should be fine with this side as well once the shock lost hair has grown back! :)

In comparison with the left side the rest looks ok at the moment. Also taking into consideration I cut my hair alone, almost blindly with no mirror, so this also causes it looks in the rest worse than it is in deed (hope it is not wishful thinking!:) )! thanks again man!:)

2 minutes ago, Patrick_Joyce said:

I think it's more than likely shock loss and I think the redness on your scalp (since it's so recent) along with the big contrast between your scalp and hair color makes it seems worse than it probably is.

Thank you for your response and for your calming opinion! the redness was also one of the things which came to my mind as a potencial reason. Will be patient then and begin to use minoxidil and hope it will turn out to be a shock loss. thanks man! M. 

• Valued Contributor
15 hours ago, Mido Hassan said:

I am a bit confused because i ve seen great results even 2 weeks after the procedure. Probably it varies. should i take finastride or minoxidil in this phase? will it help the donor area to overcome the shockloss if it is a shockloss? thanks! 

Yeh it varies from person to person and it takes time to heal completely and even redness stays for long..even you will have redness on recipient area for 2-3 months...medication would ofcourse help in this as well as for those existing and transplanted hairs...and a patient is advised to be on medication for life long ...so consult your doctor and ask for his/her advice about this...

• Thanks 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

@Mido Hassan,

in my opinion, it’s far too early to evaluate your donor area and draw any kind of conclusions as to whether or not your donor has been over harvested.  In the meantime, know that donor area shock loss is common and can occur anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months out from hair transplant surgery.  When this occurs, the shocked hair typically starts to grow back between four and six months and can take up to a year to fully return.

of course, if your daughter has been over harvested, you will know after about a year because your donor area will work the same as it does now.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 1 month later...