Not ideal blood test results before hair transplant

Hi,

I took a blood test, and the results show that my Hematocrit, Hemoglobin, and RBC levels are pretty low, reaching the lower limit of valid values. This has been the case throughout my life, and there's nothing new about it.

I'm concerned if this will negatively affect my hair transplant result in terms of blood supply etc. Is it related? Should I proceed with the procedure or not?

• Valued Contributor

@Kacantake advice of your surgeon and even take a 2nd advice of a good surgeon and then take your decision....i think it can negatively effect surgery as there can be a lack of oxygen supply ..even affects the healing process and there can be a high chance of infection which will compromise the result...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

Obviously.

You lose a lot of blood during surgery. Your blood levels and prothrombin time(INR) needs to be on point before you can even think about getting on the table.

If you don’t have any serious underlying disease then it’s simply an issue of getting Iron supplements for anaemia.

Also like Archan said it will affect your results.

Edited by Turkhair

6 hours ago, Turkhair said:

Obviously.

You lose a lot of blood during surgery. Your blood levels and prothrombin time(INR) needs to be on point before you can even think about getting on the table.

If you don’t have any serious underlying disease then it’s simply an issue of getting Iron supplements for anaemia.

Also like Archan said it will affect your results.

I will clarify myself - I don’t have an anemia, the results are at the valid range, but at the low limit. No Iron deficiency. This is the state since I was a little kid. My INR is valid. 
What do you think?

On 8/3/2023 at 1:54 AM, Kacan said:

Hi,

I took a blood test, and the results show that my Hematocrit, Hemoglobin, and RBC levels are pretty low, reaching the lower limit of valid values. This has been the case throughout my life, and there's nothing new about it.

I'm concerned if this will negatively affect my hair transplant result in terms of blood supply etc. Is it related? Should I proceed with the procedure or not?

You may just have a cold. If it’s in the low end of normal if you are concerned you can repeat a standard cbc. Certain meditations may cause this and various other things. Those levels bounce around as well repeat in 2 weeks a cbc to rule out lab error. Discontinue biotin 10 days before labs sometimes it causes a false positive reading. But I would not worry about it unless it’s consistently low. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kacan said:

I will clarify myself - I don’t have an anemia, the results are at the valid range, but at the low limit. No Iron deficiency. This is the state since I was a little kid. My INR is valid. 
What do you think?

I would check Tibc, ferritin, FE plus cbc. If you always have been on lower end of normal that may just be your makeup not necessarily detrimental to your hair transplant but have you sent your results to the clinic you are going to? Share your concern with them as well. 

I personally doubt your blood levels are that significant, if you are on the low side, but still within the normal reference values. Those levels are nowhere near anemia, right?

Someone on here with the right background, please contradict me if I'm wrong, because this is advanced knowledge. If this is important information, I think the whole network should know.

Why won't surgeons make blood tests mandatory, if otherwise?