Do you have Retrograde Alopecia?

Do you have Retrograde Alopecia?   

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Moderators

It's going to be hard to get an accurate picture of how common retrograde alopecia is because it's going to be different depending on how old everyone is. For example when I had my first hair transplant I didn't have any retrograde alopecia. Years later I now have it to the extreme where I am pretty much completely bald to almost the top of my ears.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

1 hour ago, BeHappy said:

It's going to be hard to get an accurate picture of how common retrograde alopecia is because it's going to be different depending on how old everyone is. For example when I had my first hair transplant I didn't have any retrograde alopecia. Years later I now have it to the extreme where I am pretty much completely bald to almost the top of my ears.

Were you on finasteride in the meantime?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ThePerseverantWarrior said:

Were you on finasteride in the meantime?

I was on it for 11 years, but my hair kept falling out anyway. I stopped using it a long time ago.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

19 hours ago, BeHappy said:

I was on it for 11 years, but my hair kept falling out anyway. I stopped using it a long time ago.

I guess high retrograde alopecia is a sign of extensive susceptibility to MPB, which might be one reason why you didn't respond to finasteride. 

My case is slightly opposite. When baldness hit me, my sides were also affected (I didn't realise that first). Now whenever I keep my side hairs short, the retrograde alopecia stands out. That's probably an indication of very extensive MPB, which is why even I didn't respond well to finasteride over 18 months, and I'm afraid even addition of dutasteride (which I've already done) might not be enough for me!