Can a lifetime of thin hair convert to thick hair after HT?

I'm curious, I've read and heard that at best, a HT can only give you 50-60% of the fullness that a man once had at their peak. What I'm wondering is: If a person has always had thin hair (even at their peak) but it was fuller - [yet not thick, just lots of thin hair follicles bunched together to give a dense image] is it likely that even after several HTs, that they will never have the thick hair that others do? Or is the hair in the donor area naturally programmed to be thicker?

I'm curious, I've read and heard that at best, a HT can only give you 50-60% of the fullness that a man once had at their peak. What I'm wondering is: If a person has always had thin hair (even at their peak) but it was fuller - [yet not thick, just lots of thin hair follicles bunched together to give a dense image] is it likely that even after several HTs, that they will never have the thick hair that others do? Or is the hair in the donor area naturally programmed to be thicker?

Its_Going_Fast, Luckily, hair loss is not even noticeable until roughly half of it is already gone! But these are good times to start restoring your hair! I've never heard if donor hair is thicker, and I can guess that it's not.

From my understanding it all depends on the "number" of follicular unit. The hair line consists of 1 hair units. But I think Docs put 2s, 3s and 4s going further back. This gives a fuller look. I hope Docs can chime in on this one icon_smile.gif

I went to coalition Dr recently and he showed me the magnified recipient and donor areas. My hair at the donor area is as twice as thick as recipient. Also there are lots of 2s and 3s in donor and singles in the recipient. He said after the transplant these donors along with the original recipient will make it look fuller and nicer.

I don't know if donor hair is thicker than say, the top for a non-balding individual. However, when someone is subjected to male baldness pattern, the hair in the balding areas is usually thinner than the donor.

Note that the donor is usually thicker because, not only it has more 2-hair and 3-hair grafts but also the density (grafts per cm2) is also higher. Dr. Keene did a limited study and she founds that for non-balding males, the density at the hairline and temples is around 40-50 FU/cm2, while the back/donor is around 80 FU/cm2. Therefore, the required density for transplanting at the hairline/temples may be even lower than 40 fu/cm2.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley