Numbness after surgery

I have a rather peculiar question - has anyone not had any scalp numbness after FUE?

With my first surgery I had reduced sensation on my scalp for a few months.

However, this time, having just done my first contact wash, I don't really have any loss of sensation at all.

This seems unusual and im (probably irrationally) worrying that the follicles weren't implanted deep enough to cause the usual damage to nerves in the scalp. 

• Valued Contributor

@BackFromTheBrink i still have 10% of numbness at 2 and half months but that doesn't mean you have to be suspicious if you don't had one....sometimes some people can be lucky to not get such numbness....i don't think not being numb is a sign of a worry about the hair follicles not being implanted well..though you can take advice of some doctors on the forum who can explain this properly...

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

It was 2500 grafts - 1500 in the crown, 600 in the hairline and 400 in the midscalp.

I'm a week post surgery. 

Redness in the recipient area has pretty much subsided but my donor is still itchy in places.

IMG_20230721_074246.thumb.jpg.c00325c13424ce04603e98e4a3c98d1a.jpg

IMG_20230721_115810.thumb.jpg.ea29791426d5d46dc1b05d4fbc149350.jpg

Edited by BackFromTheBrink

Numbness is a routine matter. It may last a few days to a few weeks. When nerves are damaged due to punching or sometimes in the recipient area due to slits or needle damage to nerves, numbness occurs. No need to worry as it does not have any relation with grafts survival or result.   

Dr. Ahmad Chaudhry

Cosmo Derma clinic 

Lahore Pakistan 

@BackFromTheBrink,

Yes it is very possible to have some loss of sensation during and after hair transplant surgery whether it be FUT or FUE.   This is because of all the nerve endings may have been severed or clipped a little during surgery. It can take time but the feeling does come back overtime. The amount of time may vary from patient to patient. I know my third surgery was the biggest so it took almost a year or so for me to regain full sensation. But that was FUT procedure back in 2006 or 2007.

but honestly if you’re in the first couple of months out from your hair transplant procedure, don’t worry. scalp sensation will return in time.

i hope this helps 

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.