Does Minoxidil halt hair loss?

I had a transplant in January, and am planning on a second one to take care of the crown. I'm using topical Minoxidil on the top and front of my head, as I assumed the crown area had no more hair to lose, but now I want to Minoxidil the crown area too.

My question is, does Minoxidil halt hair loss, or just keep the hair from falling out whilst you're using it? When I have the second transplant I would need to stop the Minoxidil for three months on the recipient area, so it'd obviously be a waste of time starting it prior, if any hair would fall out anyway when I stopped.

Thanks πŸ™‚

Hi Buddy,

I don’t think Minoxidil stops the hair loss, I think it makes it grow faster and thicker. You would need to take finasteride or dutasteride to keep hold of the hair you currently have, using them together would be most beneficial 😊 

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor

If you take oral minoxidil then you bypass the issue of not being able to apply minoxidil for three months. Personally Minoxidil keeps your hair in the anagen phase longer. You really need to stop MPB at the causal level by blocking DHT.Β 

• Like 1

Thanks, both.

I don't want to use oral Minoxidil 'cause of the possible effect on your heart(!).

I'm still not clear. If I stop using Minoxidil for three months post surgery, will my hair loss restart at the point it was when I started the Minoxidil, or will any hair that would have fallen out if I wasn't using Minoxidil, fall out?

50 minutes ago, jc80220 said:

Thanks, both.

I don't want to use oral Minoxidil 'cause of the possible effect on your heart(!).

I'm still not clear. If I stop using Minoxidil for three months post surgery, will my hair loss restart at the point it was when I started the Minoxidil, or will any hair that would have fallen out if I wasn't using Minoxidil, fall out?

My surgery date is 6 days out.

In my pre-op instructions, I was advised to discontinue use of topical Min 7 days prior to surgery.

I take oral Min and was told zero reason to discontinue oral.

May I ask why you'd cease topical Min 3 mos prior, that was advice given by your Dr?

• Like 1

Just from the research I did, three months seemed a good period. I read in some places it had to be six months. But if people on here are saying a single month, I can get onboard with that, as this site is my most trusted resource.

Thanks again for the replies, but I'm still looking for my answer, lads πŸ˜„

Edited by jc80220