Why are the initial hairs post-op very thin?

As the title says, 

Why are the initial hairs post-op and shed very thin?

Is there a scientific reason for it? Do they actually thicken and mature to match the rest of your native hair over time or is it just an illusion?

Edited by RolyPolyBird
Typo

• RolyPolyBird changed the title to Why are the initial hairs post-op very thin?

If you plant a tree in your garden, you don’t just wake up to a fully grown tree one day. Similarly the post op hair has to go through their growth cycle and with time should thicken up to match your natural hair.  

• Like 2

Medical Director/ Hair Transplant Surgeon at BKS Hair Restoration.

NOTE: All posts are for educational purposes only. It is not intended as medical advice. Please direct all inquiries regarding specific health concerns to your physician. 

• Valued Contributor
6 hours ago, Bhumik Shah MD said:

If you plant a tree in your garden, you don’t just wake up to a fully grown tree one day. Similarly the post op hair has to go through their growth cycle and with time should thicken up to match your natural hair.  

👆 

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

21 hours ago, RolyPolyBird said:

Why are the initial hairs post-op and shed very thin?

Do you mean the hairs that push through after the shedding phase? Those tend to be thin and translucent until they mature.

Edited by NikosHair

2 hours ago, NikosHair said:

Do you mean the hairs that push through after the shedding phase? Those tend to be thin and translucent until they mature.

Yes after shedding. I have a lot of new hairs but they’re a different texture to my native hair right now and are pretty wispy at 3.5 months. 

37 minutes ago, RolyPolyBird said:

Yes after shedding. I have a lot of new hairs but they’re a different texture to my native hair right now and are pretty wispy at 3.5 months. 

That's very promising. They can emerge before 3 months, but unless you are using magnification, they won't be visible to the naked eye.

Over the next few weeks and months, they will appear as terminal hairs.

• Moderators
22 hours ago, RolyPolyBird said:

Yes that's normal. They are brand new hairs growing in. Normally when you get a haircut you are only cutting off the ends so the hair still growing is a thick, mature hair. When you get a hair transplant, the hair falls out and a new baby hair has to start growing. It takes a year for it to fully mature.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.