Using Finasteride when you have dermatitis?

TitusPullo

Hey guys.

Is it a good idea to get on finasteride if you have sebderm? I unfortunately have not been able to get my sebderm under control and was wondering if the sebderm could possibly deny the new hairs from growing after shedding phase?

You're dealing with two different issues. First is hair loss and the other a dermatological condition.  First, be under the supervision of a physician.  If you're doing pill form, as far as Propecia or even oral Min is concerned, you should be fine. If you're doing topical, I would wait until you get clearance from the doctor.  With regards to seborrheic  dermatitis, visit with the dermatologist.  They can treat it and, once under control, you can resume topical modalities.  It's important to realize hair loss is a progressive condition and you need to continue some sort of regimen to help you with retention of the native hair - regardless of what other condition you may be experiencing. 

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• Valued Contributor

I would agree with what lasercaps said...you can take oral finasteride...though consult a good dermatologist and follow his/her advice 

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

7 hours ago, LaserCaps said:

You're dealing with two different issues. First is hair loss and the other a dermatological condition.  First, be under the supervision of a physician.  If you're doing pill form, as far as Propecia or even oral Min is concerned, you should be fine. If you're doing topical, I would wait until you get clearance from the doctor.  With regards to seborrheic  dermatitis, visit with the dermatologist.  They can treat it and, once under control, you can resume topical modalities.  It's important to realize hair loss is a progressive condition and you need to continue some sort of regimen to help you with retention of the native hair - regardless of what other condition you may be experiencing. 

I spoke to my physician a few weeks ago. He didn't want to me to go to a dermatologist, as he thought he could help without them, and recommended salicylic acid for the sebderm, which is what I tried first, but it didn't do much for me. Went ahead and bought Nizoral from Amazon after that and it seems like it's working, but it's too early to tell. Anyway...after that, he asked me if I still want Finasteride and I said yes. For some reason, he decided to prescribe the 5mg one instead of the 1mg. So I will have to use a splitter to get the right dosage. So it is the pill form I will use.

2 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

I would agree with what lasercaps said...you can take oral finasteride...though consult a good dermatologist and follow his/her advice 

I will try Nizoral like I said to LaserCaps and if that doesn't help, then I will definitely consult a dermatologist.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 1:32 AM, Ghostbusters said:

I have seborrheic dermatitis, my doctor advised me not to use shampoos with parabens, sulfates and silicone components, the pH of the shampoo should be neutral. It helped me a lot. Try changing your daily shampoo.I am taking oral finasteride

Will look into it. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 5:07 PM, TitusPullo said:

Hey guys.

Is it a good idea to get on finasteride if you have sebderm? I unfortunately have not been able to get my sebderm under control and was wondering if the sebderm could possibly deny the new hairs from growing after shedding phase?

Hi I had the same problem experienced sebderm and started taking fin orally

The way I treated sebderm is using nizoral for 4-6 months, after first week already scalp redness and itchiness was way down.

Nizoral + healthy care for scalp, dont use head n shoulders its bad.