Minoxidil Contact Dermatitis After Hair Transplant FUE

Hello,

I am almost three weeks after my hair transplant, I decided to give Rogaine foam a try, because other liquid form have caused an allergic reaction including mild facial swelling around two years ago.

I started noticing what seems like contact dermatitis (redness, irritation, cobblestone appearance, itchiness).

Should I continue with it or should I stop?

If I continue will it affect the result of my hair transplant negatively?

Photos attached.

Thanks

IMG_6203.jpeg

IMG_6202.jpeg

IMG_6201.jpeg

IMG_6199.jpeg

IMG_6197.jpeg

• Valued Contributor

@AB.91 Three weeks i think is early to start using topicals as your recipient area is not healed completely.. Consult your surgeon and ask abt his/her opinion ...you have to stop it...maybe the alcohol in it is not tolerated by you so next time when you start using it again you may try one in which alcohol is not used....

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

@AB.91,

Firstly, I would consult with your physician to get his or her input  on your case. However, in my experience, minoxidil can be a scalp irritant, especially the first couple weeks after hair transplant surgery. In my opinion, you may want to stop using it for a couple weeks to see if your situation clears up. But remember also, you are still in the beginning phases of healing. That often takes a couple weeks to a couple months.  Then, new growth will typically start between 3 to 5 months after surgical hair restoration.

I hope it helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, gojnasv2 said:

@AB.91 any update?

I just stopped it.

I’m clearly allergic to Minoxidil, I had edema, itching and redness that continued for days after I stopped it.

Unfortunately, it’s not for me. I just switched to a mixture of different oils every couple of days, like rosemary, pumpkin seeds, among others.
It sucks having oily drippy head and having to shower again after applying but it’s what I have to deal with.