Is there too much overlap with native hair?

Hey everyone, 

As you can see from the before pictures, my hair before wasn’t bad. I just wanted to fill in some recession.

My mistake was following the pre-op directions by shaving the sides the day before, meaning that I had no frame of reference when the doctor drew the hairline. I think shaving the sides makes sense for people who are extremely bald, as it’s obvious where the hair needed to be placed, but in my case, it’s not so obvious. 

So when the doctor drew it on, I thought it was fine, and I went along and got the HT. It wasn’t obvious to me that I already hair a lot of hair there. 

Now, it’s a month after, and I went through the shed, and I’m below baseline. I don’t have hair in places I’ve always had hair, because of the transplant. Perhaps it’s shock loss, but I doubt it, because it hasn’t occurred anywhere else they implanted hair. I think somehow, they placed grafts in places I already had hair, making it worse in the process. 

So even if the hair they implanted will grow, I’ll get back to baseline, maybe. 

I’m pretty discouraged, because I would think doctors would know where I have hair or not, but, I suppose it’s my own fault for not measuring precisely where I already have hair.

I emailed the doctor, and he maintains that he didn’t go deep into the native region.

Am I missing something? 

Before left side: 50E91C3F-937C-4F0B-81BA-10F2695DC10B.jpeg.4c7c17581613a3293e6cfabd77243fc9.jpeg

after left side: 

8C857199-6F8D-4DA0-AAD0-E2F76DEAF77E.jpeg.9906c85656f2c9da624726c43a11de9a.jpeg

before right side:14290BC2-F03E-48B7-BDB5-9191EA97245D.thumb.jpeg.51d1337546e7e456040fa8b53c900286.jpeg

after right side:

30BE66E9-8E5F-4305-9CBB-DE3B1C72C5F6.jpeg.ee34c55a593431c842a3ed804ecccec8.jpeg

What Dr was this? There was ABSOLUTELY no reason to do any temple point work on you given your minimal loss..... 

When I had my HT the clinic shaved my donor area at the clinic right before extraction began. At no point did they suggest I shave my head before coming in.

Do you mean temporal point or temple point? Because the temples is where I had recede prior to stabilizing on medication, and that’s what I asked for.

im concerned about the temporal points actually(as in, we filled in too much of it, since I already had hair there)

Edited by Rc14

48 minutes ago, Rc14 said:

Do you mean temporal point or temple point? Because the temples is where I had recede prior to stabilizing on medication, and that’s what I asked for.

im concerned about the temporal points actually(as in, we filled in too much of it, since I already had hair there)

I'm talking about the area close to your sideburn/ear. 

Just now, Rc14 said:

Yes I agree, that’s what I’m nervous about. 

Temple point is the hardest area of a HT to do good work on. It's very hard to mimic nature as this hair has a very unique diameter/feel/direction. I'm amazed they asked you to shave prior to coming in for surgery seems odd to me. Maybe this is normal but it wasn't how it worked at the clinic I went to. 

Hopefully when it grows in it all looks good for you, nothing you can do now but wait. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Why risk a hair transplant when you have almost no loss at all to begin with? As for shaving the sides, this is what I've been mentioning when the topic of whether it's better to shave the recipient or not comes up. The Drs who transplant without shaving have a better idea of where you actually need hair. Once the area is shaved it gets a lot harder to tell.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.