Can I get hair transplanted TO my neck?

I stupidly got laser hair removal on my neck in my early 20s because of razor burn. I haven’t done it in like 3 years and there is virtually no growth, the follicles are likely all dead. Ironically, I have a full head of hair. Can I use hair from my head or elsewhere on my body for a transplant to my neck? I know I’ll never have the same density as I did, but I just need enough to make the the transition from jaw (which has visible hair follicles, even when fully shaved) to neck more natural looking.

IMG_4447.jpeg

• Haha 1

• Administrators

Let me tag @Bhumik Shah MD

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@jaybr6 - Theoretically it should be doable since you would be inserting new hair follicles with the hair transplant. It would be helpful to hear it from a professional though.

But you will also need to think about other factors:

1. Head hair may not be of the same texture/thickness and the difference may be visible. How about taking from other parts of your beard and spread it out?—just floating an idea. Not sure how  practical it is.

2. If you do decide to use your head hair as donor, can you be certain that you will not need/want these precious/finite hair for covering male pattern baldness in future?

3. You might want to find a surgeon who have had the experience of doing beard transplants—rather than finding a surgeon that has great head HT experience but 0 beard transplant. 

12.5k grafts with Dr. Felipe Pitella in Jan 2024.

Link to my journey:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/71724-12501-grafts-dr-felipe-pittella-jan-2024/

First off LOL

To answer your question: Yes but then you will want to laser them right off again

Scalp hairs grow long, beard hairs have different texture to rest of the body hairs. 

I would suggest moving on. Even if some surgeon does it, you’re not going to be pleased with results. 

You can transplant hair in that area. This is not a very common request. 

Medical Director/ Hair Transplant Surgeon at BKS Hair Restoration.

NOTE: All posts are for educational purposes only. It is not intended as medical advice. Please direct all inquiries regarding specific health concerns to your physician.