Taking Finasteride inconsistently...

Taking Finasteride inconsistently...

I currently take 1.25mg of Finasteride on a daily basis, usually in the evening. However, I must admit that I struggle with maintaining a consistent schedule. There are times when I forget to take the medication, occurring about twice or sometimes three times per week. This irregular pattern tends to occur in cycles, with two weeks of consistent use followed by a few days of forgetfulness, often during periods of increased stress.

Despite my challenges, I do manage to take Finasteride at least 3-4 times per week. My concern is whether this inconsistent intake has any negative effects on my hormone levels or the progress I am making. I have come across information suggesting that Finasteride has a cumulative impact, where it "builds up on the skull," making the exact timing of intake less crucial. Some sources imply that taking it "at least" three times per week should be sufficient.

I would greatly appreciate any insights into the potential repercussions of taking Finasteride irregularly as described. Specifically, I am curious to know if this irregularity could disrupt my hormone levels or impede the desired outcomes I am striving for.

Just decide when you want to take the pill, in the morning after breakfast or at night. 

Then after finishing your meal just take it and thats it. I do the same thing with Minoxidil aswell and it works fine for me, just attach it to a routine instead of making it separate. Because eating is something you do often on a regular basis in a specific schedulle, makes it easier to remember at least for me.

• Like 1

In addition, the author also feels that in patients who are apprehensive about the side effects, it is worthwhile considering administration of lower daily doses or staggered pulse doses of the drug, to enhance patient compliance. As discussed earlier, there is sound rationale for such regimens. Plasma half life of finasteride is 6-8 hours and tissue binding is 4-5 days.[5] Doses of 0.2 mg are adequate to suppress both scalp skin and serum DHT levels. While 0.2 mg caused 55% DHT suppression, 5 mg per day achieved 69% DHT suppression. Efficacy has been demonstrated for all end points for finasteride at doses of 0.2 mg/day or higher, with 1 and 5 mg demonstrating similar efficacy that was superior to lower doses.[8,9,19] The drug may be therefore initially administered at 0.5 mg daily or one tablet alternate days, to gain confidence of the patient and the 1 mg/day dosage may be restored once patient is comfortable about the drug. The value of such a regimen was shown in a preliminary study.[20] However, further large, long term studies are needed to establish the value of such regimens.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3481923/#:~:text=Plasma half life of finasteride,binding is 4-5 days.

• Like 1

i also use the "combining it with a meal " idea. I take it 30 mins after breakfast (during water intake regime post meal) where its most easiest to take. I keep it near to place where i keep my water bottle so i dont miss it.

afterwards it becomes a habbit which you wont miss even during travel.

Edited by duckling
  • Like 1