Reasons for losing transplanted hair

Hi all

First time posting a thread on this forum and am looking for some opinions. 

I had a poor transplant at a clinic in London nearly 2 years ago. Various issues with it which I won't get in to here, but I'm pretty sure I've been losing some of my transplanted hair in my hair line.

Can anyone shed light as to what the likely reasons for this are please?

Many thanks

looping in @Rossybop as I know he has been having this issue as well

Reasons I Can Come Up With:

1. Not being on any anti DHT meds

2. Your MPB is so aggressive that even anti DHT meds are working enough

3. Doctor took donor hair that was not part of the safe zone

4. Some type of pre-existing skin condition or something similar

5. You actually are not "losing" hair and this is just shedding. Perhaps your HT led to a disruption in your shedding cycles or something like that

6. You had temporary shock loss in your native hair and it is now on a different shedding cycle than the transplant hair

7. You had permanent shock loss in your native hair. 

8. This is all psychological and you actually are not losing or shedding any hair. When a post-op HT patient looks at their scalp long enough, they are almost guaranteed to focus on nuances like this (imaginary or not).  

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 3
  • Well Done 1

4 hours ago, djkillab said:

I had a poor transplant at a clinic in London nearly 2 years ago. Various issues with it which I won't get in to here, but I'm pretty sure I've been losing some of my transplanted hair in my hair line.

How sure are you?

I have  a friend who is on his second transplant in three years  because he thinks the same thing.  He thinks he's losing his transplanted hairs, but when I asked him if it's maybe just his existing native hairs that are falling out...then he wasn't so sure.

Is your hairline completely made up of transplanted hairs?  Or were they a blend of native and transplanted hairs?  (where you could be mistaking the native ones falling out, as transplanted ones)

Hi Bucky. My existing hair loss has unfortunately continued, but although not 100%, I'm pretty certain transplanted hair has come out. I think I will have to shave my head soon and compare to when I did it 6 months ago when complaining to the clinic

7 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

looping in @Rossybop as I know he has been having this issue as well

Reasons I Can Come Up With:

1. Not being on any anti DHT meds

2. Your MPB is so aggressive that even anti DHT meds are working enough

3. Doctor took donor hair that was not part of the safe zone

4. Some type of pre-existing skin condition or something similar

5. You actually are not "losing" hair and this is just shedding. Perhaps your HT led to a disruption in your shedding cycles or something like that

6. You had temporary shock loss in your native hair and it is now on a different shedding cycle than the transplant hair

7. You had permanent shock loss in your native hair. 

8. This is all psychological and you actually are not losing or shedding any hair. When a post-op HT patient looks at their scalp long enough, they are almost guaranteed to focus on nuances like this (imaginary or not).  

I thought the transplanted hairs are near enough immune to DHT though?

Looking at the extractions they look like they came from the right area. 

I am intending on seeing a dermatologist before another transplant in a year or 2

How long do shedding cycles last generally? I've certainly seen an increase of hairs in the shower for past few weeks.

It's definitely not psychological as I can see the difference in pictures from a year or so ago.

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

Most common thing is that native hairs around the transplanted hairs have fallen.

Plus, donor area hair is not DHT immune, but DHT resistant. Also, keep in mind that transplanted hair has shedding phases like "normal" hair, so you may also be undergoing that phase and it's not terribly abnormal.