For those of you who've tried oral minoxidil

I've been on .625 mg for almost a year after switching from topical.  My hair thickness is roughly the same as it was prior, I just didn't want to continue to apply the topical to my hair as it left my hair looking less than stellar (why go through all this just to not have your hair look its best?).  I shower at night and apply before bed, leaving it looking greasy the next day. Lately I've been doubling my dose 2-3 times a week, but even that is half the dosage most people on here start with.  The side effect I noticed (which has improved with time) is that I'd wake up in the middle of the night and either not be able to fall back asleep or falling back asleep would take significantly longer than normal.  Nothing abnormal heartbeat wise or anything else.  I didn't have a noteworthy shed either.  

Ultimately, staying on the lowest possible dose that produces acceptable (even if not optimal) results is my goal.  I'd rather my hair look close to its thickest with minor/no sides than it's absolute thickest with potential problems.  

I took 2.5mg of oral Min for 6 months (and .5/mg of Dut) with no side effects (positive or negative).  I increased my dose of oral Min to 5mg/day since April.  I see increased body hair (arms and legs, not back or anywhere else) so I just simply trim it down.  Unfortunately, I'm still shedding at a rapid rate and not seeing much in the way of new growth on my scalp.  Thinking of switching to a topical application (for both Min and either Fin or Dut).  

On 7/30/2023 at 2:38 PM, A_4_Archan said:

Are you on Finasteride ? Actually minoxidil won't help you in that but finasteride helps in slowing down /halting hairloss progression and will not let them get miniaturized 

I'm actually on .5mg/day of oral Dutasteride for as long as I've  been taking oral Minoxidil

• Valued Contributor

@jim1973

If you don't have side effects than don't switch to different forms....to see its full potential take it religiously for 12 months and thn reassess your situation and plan accordingly...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

As I’ve said previously if you plan on taking it then remember it’s a life long commitment and to pay close attention to your body. This medication has more severe sides than finasteride if you are one of the small unlucky few. 

I jumped on and had some pretty worrying sides which resulted in chest pain and excess water retention in the sack around my heart. My Dr couldn’t be 100% it was Oral Minox however he did say it was a very strong possibility given the timings and when the issues occurred. Thankfully my ECG was fine and it cleared up within a week or two after I stopped taking it.

This post isn’t designed to scare anyone and im sure 99% if you will be fine. But it was certainly an eye opener for me about going off label.

29 minutes ago, ScottishGuy21 said:

As I’ve said previously if you plan on taking it then remember it’s a life long commitment and to pay close attention to your body. This medication has more severe sides than finasteride if you are one of the small unlucky few. 

I jumped on and had some pretty worrying sides which resulted in chest pain and excess water retention in the sack around my heart. My Dr couldn’t be 100% it was Oral Minox however he did say it was a very strong possibility given the timings and when the issues occurred. Thankfully my ECG was fine and it cleared up within a week or two after I stopped taking it.

This post isn’t designed to scare anyone and im sure 99% if you will be fine. But it was certainly an eye opener for me about going off label.

Did you not get OM for your doctor or at pharmacy?

Getting fin or om online to me is a bad idea. Not reliable dosage wise

13 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

@jim1973

If you don't have side effects than don't switch to different forms....to see its full potential take it religiously for 12 months and thn reassess your situation and plan accordingly...

I have heard that if you don't see results in 4-6 months, then it isn't working.  I've also seen what you recommend (wait 12 months).  Its just tough to wait out the daily shedding without an end in sight.  I feel as though some are better responders to topical than oral but I may still wait a little longer.  

On 8/27/2023 at 8:47 PM, jim1973 said:

I have heard that if you don't see results in 4-6 months, then it isn't working.  I've also seen what you recommend (wait 12 months).  Its just tough to wait out the daily shedding without an end in sight.  I feel as though some are better responders to topical than oral but I may still wait a little longer.  

Yep waiting 12 months seems daunting when there’s no improvement in sight.

im approaching 12 months in October, and the lack of progress. Has just made me realise I’ve probably wasted the last year by switching to oral…Instead of just being content with topical.

Been 3 months on 5mg after 7 months on 2.5mg.

And even increasing I’m not seeing any real difference which is frustrating. I’d like to hold out a bit longer but everyday I just think to quit and just finally start topical again.

Edited by LeveledUp
  • Like 1