itching 5 months later?

I know itching is normal during the first month but my scalp suddenly started to itch this late after HT. It’s only on the recipient area. 

Does anyone else experience it? And is it ok to scratch it now.

Edited by Turkhair
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, StillAlive said:

It's OK to scratch and in my experience itchiness -within reason- indicates a growth phase. Enjoy :D 

Great to hear. Yes it’s only at certain times and calm the whole day. 

Scars tend to itch, whether it's from the donor or recipient site. As with any itching, don't scratch so hard as to break the skin, otherwise it should be fine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hazy said:

Scars tend to itch, whether it's from the donor or recipient site. As with any itching, don't scratch so hard as to break the skin, otherwise it should be fine.

It stopped itching yesterday, but hairs do appear to be coming out my hairline is filled almost. 

@Turkhair,

Believe it or not, it is perfectly normal to experience scalp itch five months into your hair transplant. What’s happening is this. As I’m sure you know, hair transplant patients start to experience signs of transplanted hair growth between three and five months. Many of the hairs have still not broken through the surface of the scalp yet and all the activity going on underneath the surface of the scalp as hair is attempting to break through often  causes some minor irritation usually in the form of an inch.

So while scalp itch is probably a bit annoying, it’s actually a sign of new growth.

Try to avoid scratching if possible. Applying aloe vera can help. One of my favorites is Nioxin conditioner (apply in the shower and let it sit on the scalp for five minutes before washing it off) because it provides a cooling and soothing effect for 15 to 30 minutes after your shower alleviating itch and irritation.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

8 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@Turkhair,

Believe it or not, it is perfectly normal to experience scalp itch five months into your hair transplant. What’s happening is this. As I’m sure you know, hair transplant patients start to experience signs of transplanted hair growth between three and five months. Many of the hairs have still not broken through the surface of the scalp yet and all the activity going on underneath the surface of the scalp as hair is attempting to break through often  causes some minor irritation usually in the form of an inch.

So while scalp itch is probably a bit annoying, it’s actually a sign of new growth.

Try to avoid scratching if possible. Applying aloe vera can help. One of my favorites is Nioxin conditioner (apply in the shower and let it sit on the scalp for five minutes before washing it off) because it provides a cooling and soothing effect for 15 to 30 minutes after your shower alleviating itch and irritation.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Very helpful reply. 

I can confirm the itching was new hairs sprouting because I look drastically different now than a couple weeks ago. It has stopped itching unfortunately. 

So itching = good 

• Like 1