Timeline for Hair Regrowth

FinallyHT

I know that it can take about 6 months to see hair regrowth for new hairs when using a new medication.  But for hairs that are shed during the first month or so, do they also regrow at around the 6 month mark or should they regrow sooner? 

I feel that the hairs that I shed after topical dut have not regrown back. I am one week shy of month 4. No more hair shedding as I used to have on a daily basis prior to the use of the drug, but I am not seeing any new hair growth for hairs shed or new hairs.  

Hairloss began at age 23. 

Oral Finasteride 1mg daily since 2006, Topical Minoxidil since 2012. Hair transplant 3,400 grafts 2019. Second hair transplant 2,400 grafts in 2023. 

Man, relax and wait, four months is way too early for drawing ANY conclusions. 

I know, it's the hardest advice to take, but if you go looking at people who spring miraculous werewolf heads of hair after 5 months, you will be sorely disappointed. Growth is SLOW process and can be even slower if you are older or not using minoxidil. Give it a year, then you will know what you are dealing with. 

• Valued Contributor

It takes time..you should be happy that you already succeeded in stopping it from shedding .....tht means you have responded to the meds....it will take more time for the baby hairs to grow fuller ....patience is the key ...and jave medication religiously ....see the difference and make judgments at around 10-12 months 

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

Thanks guys! I am a slightly different case as I have been on fin for 17 years and topical minox for 10 years. Medications work best earlier, as soon as one experiences hair loss. (And I had 3500 graft HT.) 

So I am curious to see how effective top dut will be in addition to my existing regime given my hair loss stated when I was 23 and I am now 40. This medication is expensive so I am hoping it works as I am losing ground and I’d like to hang on for another 10 years. And avoid another HT

But my question was- do hairs shed during the initial use of the medication return at the same time of new hairs? It took 3 months for oral fin to grow hair for me. And 5 months for top minox to yield results. 

Edited by FinallyHT

Hairloss began at age 23. 

Oral Finasteride 1mg daily since 2006, Topical Minoxidil since 2012. Hair transplant 3,400 grafts 2019. Second hair transplant 2,400 grafts in 2023.