Would SMP Cover My Tenting? Is That My Best Option?

Hey guys, I could use some input...

I got a HT 10 months ago and I am not happy about the results. It's placed in rows and the surgeon was way too ambitious with the hairline for an 1800 graft FUE. I shouldn't have gotten the procedure as I was not in the right headspace. The surgeon says he did an excellent job.

I shaved my head in December and got SMP for the FUE scars in the back. The artist did a great job.

It was about a month later when I noticed some tenting in the recipient site. There appeared to be slight pinkness and (maybe) some ridging too. I panicked. I did one round of laser hair removal on the temples to see if that would help. It removed the hairs for a few weeks and left the skin tender for a while but the bumps did not go away. I went to two plastic surgeon offices. They didn't want to use CO2 laser as my transplant was still recent and they've never done it one scalps before. One told me it is barely noticeable and not worth risking the complications for minimal results. The other gave me silicone gel and wished me well. I haven't really noticed any change with the scar gel. 

So from my research, there isn't much that can help the tenting. There's laser resurfacing, dermabrasion, and getting a facelift. All of which may not work, will have limited results at best, and may do more harm than good. I guess there's wet shaving and botox too?

Because of my dead end, I decided to grow out my hair as of February. I'm not very happy with the way it looks but maybe I'll come around too it when it's longer.

I am done with my hair. I'm only growing it out because I'd rather find one decent hairstyle that covers the scars and rock it for a few years than continue to see the scars all the time. 

The only other thing I can think to do is go all in with the SMP. I think I'd go to the same guy who did my FUE scars because he was so careful with it. If it masks the scars 75%+ then I'll take it. I can't find pictures of SMP done on tenting so IDK how it will turn out. I just want to go to work without a hat on! Is the SMP worth it?

I can send pics/go into more detail if this post gets traction. I guess I'm shy.

I am afraid to grow out my hair more. I'm in my 20s and after my past experience, I do not want to chase my hairline the rest of my life. I'm glad you don't think it looks so bad. Are you referring to the scars or the transplant in general?

Do you think the SMP would hide the scars? If so, I think I would get it done and shave my head every other day. I get that asking for a solution for the tenting isn't easy to answer. I'm just looking for long term solutions to boost my self confidence haha

23 hours ago, Et in Arcadia Ego said:

They didn't want to use CO2 laser as my transplant was still recent and they've never done it one scalps before.

have you considered electrolysis? that permanently kills hair, whereas with lasering you have to do it a bunch to truly kill the hair. 

If the only issue doctors and other medical professionals have with this is that its so too soon, I strongly encourage you to try to relax and just ride out the next few months when it will be safer to kill more hair. 

SMP may or may not be a good solution for you, I personally do not know. But please do research the f*ck out of SMP, as there as definitely some cons to it and the last thing you want to do is add more problems to the existing ones. I know youve already done SMP in the donor area, which does not carry that much risk really. But it is a bit of a gamble to do SMP on the frontal 3rds. 

Yea I have considered electrolysis. I did laser hair removal on my temples in January and it worked. However, I want to give myself more months to heal before doing more. Electrolysis may be safer and more permanent.

When I said CO2 laser, I meant skin resurfacing to flatten the scars. Ideally, I'd have the scars smoothed out and idc what method as long as it gave results. 

Yea I don't want to carelessly jump into SMP. Also, if SMP doesn't hide the scars well, Then I might not be able to use laser skin resurfacing.

At this point, what I want to achieve is to have a buzz and hide all the scars to the point I don't draw unwanted attention. I don't think anyone on this site has reported results after getting laser resurfacing for tenting. My tenting is pretty minor. 

I'll get opinions by dermatologists in my area. Perhaps in a few months, I can get a bunch of non ablative laser sessions. I saw some improvement by a 1450 diode laser in a study. If it goes really well, which I doubt, I can do electrolysis. Otherwise, I'll do SMP.

• 4 months later...