FUT or FUE for around 1800 grafts. 24 years old

I finally have the money to afford a transplant that I've been wanting for years now. I have been telling myself FUT for some time now with Dr. Carman in San Diego, but now that it's time to book a surgery date, I am reconsidering and a little scared of FUT because of the scar. I am aware of the advantages FUT has over FUE, and the fact I have some diffuse thinning on my sides and some on the neckline, but the scar and scar recovery may be an issue for me. I really do not want to have a shaved head with FUE but at the same time the FUT scar healing is another issue. I haven't found any reputable doctors for FUE within a 200 mile radius, but maybe someone here can offer some advice for me. My hairline is a nw3 and I'm blonde with thick hair behind my hairline if that helps

it makes zero sense to get fut for only 1.800 grafts. fut will decrease the laxity of your scalp and make only sense if you go with a decent amount of transplanted hair. otherwise it wont increase your lifetime graft really

fut is only beneficial when

- you have good laxity

- you are going for a decent amount lf grafts

16 hours ago, percahontas said:

I have been telling myself FUT

why do you prefer FUT? I think you have a lot more research to do into hair transplants. 

Also 24 is too young to get this done. Enjoy your youth and come back to hair transplant world in a few years. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

why do you prefer FUT? I think you have a lot more research to do into hair transplants. 

Also 24 is too young to get this done. Enjoy your youth and come back to hair transplant world in a few years. 

I've been seeing that FUT has better graft success rate and is advantageous for someone like me who plans on having another one down the road. I'd rather enjoy my hair now when I'm young than when I'm in my 40's. 

30 minutes ago, percahontas said:

I've been seeing that FUT has better graft success rate and is advantageous for someone like me who plans on having another one down the road. I'd rather enjoy my hair now when I'm young than when I'm in my 40's. 

I would argue that FUT is very disadvantageous for anyone who is still in their early 20s and could end up with further loss that would expose a linear scar in the near future.

FUT vs FUE results are debatable at best, and if you're already concerned about a linear scar (as you stated) then it's obvious to me that you shouldn't get FUT.

Also, I think you're thinking with your wallet (since FUT is cheaper) and you're letting price and geography influence your decision over actual results and long-term plan.  

On 5/3/2023 at 10:47 AM, Bucky O Hair said:

I would argue that FUT is very disadvantageous for anyone who is still in their early 20s and could end up with further loss that would expose a linear scar in the near future.

FUT vs FUE results are debatable at best, and if you're already concerned about a linear scar (as you stated) then it's obvious to me that you shouldn't get FUT.

Also, I think you're thinking with your wallet (since FUT is cheaper) and you're letting price and geography influence your decision over actual results and long-term plan.  

I'm going with Fue and have a surgery date booked with Dr. Pan who is a younger guy who works with Parsa Mohebi's at the same clinic. He is legit

On 5/2/2023 at 10:14 PM, mr_peanutbutter said:

it makes zero sense to get fut for only 1.800 grafts. fut will decrease the laxity of your scalp and make only sense if you go with a decent amount of transplanted hair. otherwise it wont increase your lifetime graft really

fut is only beneficial when

- you have good laxity

- you are going for a decent amount lf grafts

I'm going with Fue and have a surgery date booked with Dr. Pan who is a younger guy who works with Parsa Mohebi's at the same clinic. 

• Valued Contributor

Can you share some pics of your hair loss with your eyes blocked out? I think you are making a very hasty decision on something that will be stuck with you for life. Are you on medication to stabilize your hair loss? How will you afford the money for further surgery in the near future when you MPB progresses. How will your transplant now look in ten years, twenty years? I feel you are being too hasty and my advice is to spend a year on medication and use this time above all to do a lot more research. You are running a very real risk in the near future of regretting having surgery now.

6 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Can you share some pics of your hair loss with your eyes blocked out? I think you are making a very hasty decision on something that will be stuck with you for life. Are you on medication to stabilize your hair loss? How will you afford the money for further surgery in the near future when you MPB progresses. How will your transplant now look in ten years, twenty years? I feel you are being too hasty and my advice is to spend a year on medication and use this time above all to do a lot more research. You are running a very real risk in the near future of regretting having surgery now.

I’ve been wanting this for years and have been on fin and min since i was 20 and have pretty much stabilized where I’m at right now. I’ve done plenty of my own research and know the risks involved. I’m going for a conservative hairline design in preparation for another one down the road. I have pics on my first post like two months ago if you wanna look 

• Valued Contributor

If you are looking for a surgeon within 200 miles and you have diffuse thinning on the sides and your 24 you need to ask yourself how will my result look in 10 years from now. I’m not telling you what to do. I’m just giving you my opinion in the hope that you don’t look back and regret this decision in ten years. I recommend doing lots of research as you can always have a hair transplant ‘tomorrow.’

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

If you are looking for a surgeon within 200 miles and you have diffuse thinning on the sides and your 24 you need to ask yourself how will my result look in 10 years from now. I’m not telling you what to do. I’m just giving you my opinion in the hope that you don’t look back and regret this decision in ten years. I recommend doing lots of research as you can always have a hair transplant ‘tomorrow.’

i don’t have diffusing on the entire dudes just above the earline the rest is normal. i believe it’s retrograde alopecia

11 hours ago, Gatsby said:

just posted some pics to another guys comment