Is it normal 2yrs after surgery for my hair implants to be combing out?

• I have two hair transplant surgeries and lately I’ve noticed each time I’m brushing my hair that my hair transplants fall out as I brush my hair. I have curly hair so I brush a lot to style my hair and get through the curls. I’m not sure if it’s due to me brushing my hair so much each day or if my hair is going through the natural hair cycle. I wanted to know is this normal for my implants to be coming out so much each day I’ve noticed some coming out each day? 

•  

@balmain,

No this is definitely not normal. Firstly, are you sure that is the transplanted hair that’s coming out and that you’re not experiencing additional natural hair loss?

If you had hair transplanted in between and around natural hair, it’s possible that you are experiencing ongoing male pattern baldness. After all, surgical hair restoration is great at restoring hair to balding or thinning areas however, it does nothing to slow down or stop the progression of androgenetic alopecia which is progressive. If you’re not taking any non-surgical solutions such as finasteride, you may very well be experiencing ongoing genetic hair loss. This is something your surgeon/clinic should have discussed with you.

Now, if it really is the transplanted hair, that’s another story as this is not normal especially not two years later. Transplanted hair should last as long as the hair on the sides and back of your scalp. So if your donor area is stable and you don’t have any non-genetic hair loss related issues that would cause thinning to the donor area, then you shouldn’t be losing transplanted hair either. I suggest contacting your surgeon/clinic and discussing your concern.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

7 hours ago, Gatsby said:

How is your native hair? Is that shedding at the same rate or it just the transplanted hair? Have you changed anything lately in terms of medication, etc?

I started using oral  finasteride like 3 weeks ago but have been on oral minoxidil for 1 year but I was using topical finasteride by this company called happyhead and the product kept leaving build up on my scalp as the bottle was crystallizing so I stopped using it but the product build up was so hard to get off I would have to scrap it off with my hair brush so idk if that’s causing the implants to fall out with all the constant ruffness of brushing it out ? But I notice right now it’s a lot of my implants combing out. This is for example a 2 graft that came out but many have brushed out as I style my hair but I also know implants go through the natural hair cycle as well ? 

IMG_6894.jpeg

1 hour ago, balmain said:

I started using oral  finasteride like 3 weeks ago but have been on oral minoxidil for 1 year but I was using topical finasteride by this company called happyhead and the product kept leaving build up on my scalp as the bottle was crystallizing so I stopped using it but the product build up was so hard to get off I would have to scrap it off with my hair brush so idk if that’s causing the implants to fall out with all the constant ruffness of brushing it out ? But I notice right now it’s a lot of my implants combing out. This is for example a 2 graft that came out but many have brushed out as I style my hair but I also know implants go through the natural hair cycle as well ? 

IMG_6894.jpeg

Yeah, without pictures of your head noone can help

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 10:41 AM, balmain said:

IMG_6894.jpeg

That’s not a graft, rather that’s two hairs stuck together with a sebum plug. You likely have inflammation on your scalp or don’t wash it as often as you should. If you have an inflamed scalp, you’ll shed more and have sebum/skin buildup that can stick to telogen hairs like this. You need to address any scalp issues if you have them