Mercury Causing Hair Loss

Hi all I tried to post this before but I think it didn't go through. For context, I have a transplant this week.

I eat a pokebowl with ahi tuna and salmon 3-4x a week for dinner for the past year. I was not aware of potential mercury toxicity and am now a bit worried. I learned it can contribute to hair loss. I have 75% of my hair but it is diffusely thinning in zones 1 and 2.

Could the mercury from the ahi tuna have contributed to my hair loss? If so would this make a transplant not work? I am unable to get tested until after the transplant so I am a bit stuck. 

Thank you so much

@Ralph kaka,

The short answer is most likely no.  Here is the longer answer. 

There are different types of hair loss. Genetic hair loss which is formally known as androgenetic alopecia is genetic in nature and no amount of mercury coming from salmon or sushi will cause male pattern baldness to occur.  This is strictly a combination of genetics and hormones working together and nothing else.  

That said, there are extreme cases of malnutrition amongst other things that can cause non-genic types of hair loss. That said, I highly doubt you are experiencing a non-genetic type of hair loss from eating too much fish.  Also, non-genetic types of hair loss typically look and are characterized differently than genetic baldness.   Moreover, your hair transplant surgeon would have likely detected any non-genetic types of hair loss based on how it looks.  For instance, you would likely be experiencing thinning hair on the sides and back of your scalp in addition to the top if you were experiencing non-genetic hair loss due to some type of malnutrition issue.  And if that was the case, you wouldn’t be a candidate for hair transplant surgery.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.