FUT or FUE poll

Which do you prefer?  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Interested in which procedure you would rather opt for today, if you were starting from scratch - so you needn’t worry about previous scars, donor damage, or anything like that which would influence your choice. 

What are the main factors that would go in to your decision?

• Valued Contributor

Depends on situation ...if the donor is very average and if baldness is of higher grade with big head and if the patient is young and if there is a surety of futher loss and requirement of hts in future than fut can be considered in that situation ..and if the situation is not as such thn fue would be a better option ...so all that is depend on the situation and can't be predicted now...bt fue would be suitable for high percentage of people ...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

5 minutes ago, A_4_Archan said:

Depends on situation ...if the donor is very average and if baldness is of higher grade with big head and if the patient is young and if there is a surety of futher loss and requirement of hts in future than fut can be considered in that situation ..and if the situation is not as such thn fue would be a better option ...so all that is depend on the situation and can't be predicted now...bt fue would be suitable for high percentage of people ...

The poll is asking you, for yourself 

Edited by Rafael Manelli

I personally would get an FUE for a number of reasons, my donor is excellent above average with over 14,000 grafts in reserve, my current hair loss hasn’t spread that badly, I can keep getting multiple transplants in the future and I just don’t like the idea of having a long scar around my head whereas with FUE the small dot scars are not noticeable at all 

• Administrators

The truth is that the FUT vs. FUE debate has been put to bed. FUT is fading each year. The statistics show 75% of men choose FUE over FUT. Shockingly enough, even women choose FUE over FUT. This debate may have been relevant in 2014, but definitely not today.

IMG_6338.jpeg

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

7 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

The truth is that the FUT vs. FUE debate has been put to bed. FUT is fading each year. The statistics show 75% of men choose FUE over FUT. Shockingly enough, even women choose FUE over FUT. This debate may have been relevant in 2014, but definitely not today.

IMG_6338.jpeg

Funnily enough, I actually wrote this poll after reading that very ISHRS census data. It seems a great topic to review on the members of the forum in the current year. The people here may represent the average better educated patient.

There seems no contesting that FUE has gained popularity worldwide.

36 minutes ago, Sunset Dune said:

I personally would get an FUE for a number of reasons, my donor is excellent above average with over 14,000 grafts in reserve, my current hair loss hasn’t spread that badly, I can keep getting multiple transplants in the future and I just don’t like the idea of having a long scar around my head whereas with FUE the small dot scars are not noticeable at all 

If you have that many scalp grafts available without giving the donor a depleted appearance, you will be in an extremely lucky minority indeed. You have won the lottery.

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Rafael Manelli said:

The poll is asking you, for yourself 

Yeh i would go with fue...what about you? Are you facing any hairloss related issues or considering a surgey or you had any surgery earlier ? 

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

35 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

If you have that many scalp grafts available without giving the donor a depleted appearance, you will be in an extremely lucky minority indeed. You have won the lottery.

Per Dr. Victor Hasson he told me I have way above average donor and 14,000 grafts in reserve. He even told me I can keep getting transplants if I chose not to use medication, I’m considering that because I really don’t think the side effects are worth it

3A14AAF3-FAEB-4E26-B77D-9CE5418D53A6.jpeg

1538AB78-A0B5-46A0-BEA1-160E11189A65.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Sunset Dune said:

Per Dr. Victor Hasson he told me I have way above average donor and 14,000 grafts in reserve. He even told me I can keep getting transplants if I chose not to use medication, I’m considering that because I really don’t think the side effects are worth it

3A14AAF3-FAEB-4E26-B77D-9CE5418D53A6.jpeg

1538AB78-A0B5-46A0-BEA1-160E11189A65.jpeg

You are set for life.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

IMG_6338.jpeg

True, i remember a lot of FUT/FUE debates back around a decade ago, Dr Feller was always very pro FUT. They both still have their place, but in 2023 those patients are becoming fewer and fewer. Not many Drs are actually performing it on a regular basis.

If I started over I would absolutely be choosing FUE/BHT even as a NW6. After 2 FUTs and subsequent revision it’s still not good, and that is with trichophytic closure.

Edited by BRITA-XL
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BRITA-XL said:

True, i remember a lot of FUT/FUE debates back around a decade ago, Dr Feller was always very pro FUT. They both still have their place, but in 2023 those patients are becoming fewer and fewer. Not many Drs are actually performing it on a regular basis.

If I started over I would absolutely be choosing FUE/BHT even as a NW6. After 2 FUTs and subsequent revision it’s still not good, and that is with trichophytic closure.

Do you think your result would be better if it had been done as an FUE?

My estimate is that FUE only for 85% of men is best. If you’re Norwood 4 or below, I don’t see why you’d ever bother with FUT

FUT is best for younger men (sub 35) who may lose more future hair and need to maximize graft count (to get 1-2k additional lifetime grafts). This is probably generally going to be diffuse thinners, esp those not on meds. 

Even then, only 5 or so doctors worldwide are worth going to for the FUT scar. Personally I still feel FUT was the right call for me (it helps I can hide there scar at a 2.5 or so fade) but I think FUE is best for the vast majority. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sunset Dune said:

14000 grafts ? was your consultation with dr zarev ? 😄 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rafael Manelli said:

Do you think your result would be better if it had been done as an FUE?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but yes, I would not have chosen Dr Z and i would have done much better research and not be led by marketing. However this was 2010 and FUE wasn’t being done like it is today. Like a lot of guys with a higher Norwood level I have a excellent beard source, so would have been able to achieve decent coverage with using FUE/BHT and not gained a unsightly scar In the process. Still see not so great FUT scars from some of the “elite”.

6 minutes ago, Z-- said:

My estimate is that FUE only for 85% of men is best. If you’re Norwood 4 or below, I don’t see why you’d ever bother with FUT

FUT is best for younger men (sub 35) who may lose more future hair and need to maximize graft count (to get 1-2k additional lifetime grafts). This is probably generally going to be diffuse thinners, esp those not on meds. 

Even then, only 5 or so doctors worldwide are worth going to for the FUT scar. Personally I still feel FUT was the right call for me (it helps I can hide there scar at a 2.5 or so fade) but I think FUE is best for the vast majority. 

Interesting. Who are the 5 or so doctors you have in mind?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BRITA-XL said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but yes, I would not have chosen Dr Z and i would have done much better research and not be led by marketing. However this was 2010

I was scratching my head reading this because I couldn’t think of Ziering and the only Dr Z that came to mind was Zarev 😅

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, duckling said:

14000 grafts ? was your consultation with dr zarev ? 😄 

No I went to Dr Hasson, I’m in NA so traveling all the way to Bulgaria on a 12+ hour flight isn’t worth it for me even the 4 1/2 hour flight to Canada was too much 

7 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

I was scratching my head reading this because I couldn’t think of Ziering and the only Dr Z that came to mind was Zarev 😅

I never used to be able to write the whole name, lol must no longer trigger the censor 😆 

I think the last time i mentioned him in full was 2014… 😬

FA800898-CF06-448E-B0F9-4E88C26EFC0E.png

Edited by BRITA-XL
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

IMG_6338.jpeg

Well yes it is more popular but it is very case to case for the benefit to each patient! I still believe if done correctly fut will yield more grafts in the long run but if you are on medication and have hair loss under control than fue is certainly better!

Edited by HairEnthusiast101

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, HairEnthusiast101 said:

Well yes it is more popular but it is very case to case for the benefit to each patient! I still believe if done correctly fut will yield more grafts in the long run but if you are on medication and have hair loss under control than fue is certainly better!

I don’t believe that FUT will yield more grafts. I used to believe this, but the fact is that stripping out is not a good idea due to scar stretching. I don’t believe anyone should get more than two strips. The possibility of having an unsightly stretched scar is too high to recommend.

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I don’t believe that FUT will yield more grafts. I used to believe this, but the fact is that stripping out is not a good idea due to scar stretching. I don’t believe anyone should get more than two strips. The possibility of having an unsightly stretched scar is too high to recommend.

Oh I was viewing it as fut first than fue compared to just fue. But who knows maybe it wouldn’t matter. Big fue cases are taking hair outside of the safe zone too though while a good fut is usually in the safe zone. But yes multiple strips leads to big scars should rarely do more than 2 

Edited by HairEnthusiast101