Generics - Worth it? | As Effective? | Trustworthy?

jma101

I am sure that these questions have been asked a million times on this forum...so please forgive me for being a noob. I am just looking for answers.

In the past I have been on Propecia and Avodart for my hairloss. I was on Propecia for about 7 years, and it definitely slowed things down, but it got to a point where I felt it stopped doing me any good. I decided at that point to switch to Avodart. Almost immediately (1 month into it) I noticed a big difference...the little dying hairs I had on my hairline starting growing back thicker and longer.

Unfortunately Avodart is extremely expensive for a 1 month prescription, and I am having a hard time paying out of my pocket. I have been researching generics as an alternative, and was wondering if I could get a little feedback from those of you who have experience ordering generics online.

I guess I am wondering if anyone here has had any problems with any certain brand of generics, or on the flipside, if anyone can recommend a certain trustworthy brand of generic for Propecia, Proscar, and Avodart.

I have noticed that a lot of people use Cipla or Dr Reddy's brand. Is one better than the other? Are there other brands I should be looking at? Has anyone had any proven results with either Cipla or Dr. Reddy's? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Are the generics just as effective as the brand names?

Can anyone recommend a trusted online pharmacy? I don't want to a bunch of "Duta" tabs by Dr. Reddy's and find out they are really just gel caps filled with goo.

Please help me...I'd like to take something for my hair loss, but I can't afford the brand names anymore.

I am sure that these questions have been asked a million times on this forum...so please forgive me for being a noob. I am just looking for answers.

In the past I have been on Propecia and Avodart for my hairloss. I was on Propecia for about 7 years, and it definitely slowed things down, but it got to a point where I felt it stopped doing me any good. I decided at that point to switch to Avodart. Almost immediately (1 month into it) I noticed a big difference...the little dying hairs I had on my hairline starting growing back thicker and longer.

Unfortunately Avodart is extremely expensive for a 1 month prescription, and I am having a hard time paying out of my pocket. I have been researching generics as an alternative, and was wondering if I could get a little feedback from those of you who have experience ordering generics online.

I guess I am wondering if anyone here has had any problems with any certain brand of generics, or on the flipside, if anyone can recommend a certain trustworthy brand of generic for Propecia, Proscar, and Avodart.

I have noticed that a lot of people use Cipla or Dr Reddy's brand. Is one better than the other? Are there other brands I should be looking at? Has anyone had any proven results with either Cipla or Dr. Reddy's? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Are the generics just as effective as the brand names?

Can anyone recommend a trusted online pharmacy? I don't want to a bunch of "Duta" tabs by Dr. Reddy's and find out they are really just gel caps filled with goo.

Please help me...I'd like to take something for my hair loss, but I can't afford the brand names anymore.

This is a legitimate question and I have poured through the forums searching for answers on this topic and the more I read about it the more unsure and confused I get. I am questioning whether I need to take a drug (pill) for hair loss. The research on this subject and the fear of what Propecia MAY do to me has in effect already caused me to be impotent... (just kidding) but the mind is a powerful thing. It scares to me to think what will happen when and if I start taking it? My mind may cause things to happen, then if you order online, how do you know what you are getting? The fake drug may be worse than the real thing!!!

I am almost sorry I started this whole project.

I never buy generics. When it comes to my health, I don't take any chances. I don't mind paying a bit more for my peace of mind.

You said you are taking Avodart. Did you notice any side effects? And how much do you take every day?

jma101,

I had this same question if Finisteride 5mg or Proscar 5mg split in half so taking 2.5 mg of Finisteride every M-W-F is what my doctor said to go with. And to the ED fear the positive has worked with me. I had the fear also but I have had a positive reaction to the Finisteride but all bodies and systems are different. I am Polish-America icon_smile.gif.

I agree that since each of us are unique and respond to medications differently, we need to ease into these meds cautiously and report any adverse effects to our doctors for fine tuning.

I am thinking to start with less than 1mg every day, such as .50mg. It is just how do I want to get that done with the 5mg tablets. Cutting the 5mg tablet in half and taking 2.5mg M-W-F idea sounds promising, and I am Polish-English-American, however, I have a feeling I may miss one of those days, then going without on the weekends seems like a inconsistent supply of the medication. But hey if it works, then great. I have read that after oral dosing, about half of the unchanged drug is excreted in the feces, and one-third is metabolized in the liver to the 17carboxylic acid, which is then excreted in the urine. The plasma half-life is 5-17 hours. (this means the levels drop off) This is why I lean towards a lower amount DAILY as one third of the drug is being metabolized, and the rest is excreted. BUT since we are all unique and our amount of DHT is going to be different, we need to experiment a bit. Even when we find a routine that works our bodies change and the amount of DHT produced may increase or decrease over the years, thus the reason I think that the medication may stop being effective on those that have been taking it for years. It is that your DHT levels may have changed and you may need to increase the dosage or change the medication, such as Avodart (Dutasteride).

In summary I think it may be safer to start out slowly and increase over time. The bummer is if you are not taking enough, you lose hair. However, if you take to much and you have bad side effects that could be worse...

Also, A concern with finasteride therapy is that its reduction of serum prostatespecific antigen (PSA) levels can mask the detection of prostate carcinoma. Detection of Prostate Cancer test.

Choose your poison wisely.