How long after a hair transplantation would necrosis occur?

Good afternoon,

I have two questions regarding necrosis.

I understand that with a good surgeon, the risk of necrosis might be 1/200 to 1/300. It is a low risk but there is still a risk. I have two questions:

1. How long after a hair transplantation would necrosis occur?

2. If you contact the doctor directly when it happens, will (s)he be able to fix it good?

--

Yours sincerely,

TheHairGuy2

Edited by TheHairGuy2

• Administrators

Necrosis usually occurs a few days after the procedure, the common cause is too much anesthesia, or the grafts are too densely packed. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The subtle signs of imminent necrosis are usually evident during or right after surgery. Over the next few days it becomes more obvious. If caught early there are some medications that can be used to try and reverse it, but usually you have to let it runs its course, prevent complications like infections and then down the road transplant that necrosed area again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Medical Director/ Hair Transplant Surgeon at BKS Hair Restoration.

NOTE: All posts are for educational purposes only. It is not intended as medical advice. Please direct all inquiries regarding specific health concerns to your physician. 

On 4/9/2023 at 9:15 AM, Bhumik Shah MD said:

The subtle signs of imminent necrosis are usually evident during or right after surgery. Over the next few days it becomes more obvious. If caught early there are some medications that can be used to try and reverse it, but usually you have to let it runs its course, prevent complications like infections and then down the road transplant that necrosed area again. 

Could you elaborate, what are the subtle signs of necrosis?

2 hours ago, 2Bulls said:

A change in color of the skin, and cessation of bleeding from the incision sites. 

NOTE: All posts are for educational purposes only. It is not intended as medical advice. Please direct all inquiries regarding specific health concerns to your physician. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/15/2023 at 6:49 PM, 2Bulls said:

I hear this frequently, that you can get the necrosed area transplanted again; have you heard of any successful applications of this? Thanks in advance!

16 hours ago, Searching4truth said:

I hear this frequently, that you can get the necrosed area transplanted again; have you heard of any successful applications of this? Thanks in advance!

Correct. Necrosed area can be transplanted again. As long as caution is used, the results should be successful.