Post Transplant Maintanance Advice - Topical F&M ? LLLT?

Hi all,

New to the forum but glad to be here.

I am 1 week into my Hair Transplant so going through the tough phase of no sleep and no alcohol :)

So the company who I consulted through have only ever suggested that I did Low Light Lazer Therapy before surgery and for management of the transplanted hair and existing hair going forward. They don't recommend Finasteride/Monoxidil treatment, either orally or lotion. 

Having spoken with the actual transplant centre that did my hair, they suggest F&M Lotion at the least and kinda sniffed at LLLT. 

I have no desire to use the Oral version as I don't want any side effects but I am stuck between a rock and a hard place as I have gotten conflicting information regarding the best route forward to managing my hair post transplant.

Any suggestions or recommendations as to how to ensure my hair is best looked after for the forseable?

I have added some photos should it make a difference to suggestions and advice.

Many thanks

John

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-04 at 12.01.09 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-04 at 12.01.09.jpeg

27 minutes ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

Some say LLLT is quackery, while others swear by it.

I think it's fair to say the jury it out. However, finesteride and minoxidyl are the only FDA approved hair loss treatments and are shown to work.

I'd highly recommend that route. 

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I dont see many places suggesting just LLLT... Is the lotion nearly as good as the pills but without the side effects? I could combine the lotion with my daily routine which is no problem. 

There are some stats somewhere, but generally topical is less effective than oral. From what I understand, oral minoxidyl is very effective and is less likely to cause side effects, but then again, many debate the percentage of people that suffer sides from Finesteride. Id say with confidence that more people don't suffer sides, but it's not clear whether that is 40, 10 or 1 percent.

2 minutes ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

There are some stats somewhere, but generally topical is less effective than oral. From what I understand, oral minoxidyl is very effective and is less likely to cause side effects, but then again, many debate the percentage of people that suffer sides from Finesteride. Id say with confidence that more people don't suffer sides, but it's not clear whether that is 40, 10 or 1 percent.

Hi,

I notice you talk specifically about minoxidyl by its self. The only things ive been recommended are a mixture lotion of both Fin and Min.

If I wanted say less than 1% chance of side affects but a quality routine to manage my hair, what would you recommend? Im trying to avoid making my hair a huge part of my daily life. Not a leave and forget but something simple.

Impression I get is LLLT isn't quite proven yet...

Thanks

Topicals can be difficult to commit to long term; they can make your hair greasy / difficult to style.

I personally take oral fin and topical minox once a day (at night). It's been shown that minox last almost 24 hours so twice a day is belt and braces. I may switch to oral minox but am concerned about shedding if I do.

The easiest answer is one finesteride tablet a day, or one fin and one min tablet per day. 

If you want to avoid pills, then just be sure you can commit to topical application for the long term. This is the best option if you want to avoid sides (though some do the drugs do get into the blood stream so you may still suffer from sides if you are particularly sensitive).

Also take a look at topical dut from Xyon (there are threads, use the search). I believe Xyon also do fin, and their delivery mechanism is said to reduce the chance of sides.

Edited by BackFromTheBrink

27 minutes ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

Topicals can be difficult to commit to long term; they can make your hair greasy / difficult to style.

I personally take oral fin and topical minox once a day (at night). It's been shown that minox last almost 24 hours so twice a day is belt and braces. I may switch to oral minox but am concerned about shedding if I do.

The easiest answer is one finesteride tablet a day, or one fin and one min tablet per day. 

If you want to avoid pills, then just be sure you can commit to topical application for the long term. This is the best option if you want to avoid sides (though some do the drugs do get into the blood stream so you may still suffer from sides if you are particularly sensitive).

Also take a look at topical dut from Xyon (there are threads, use the search). I believe Xyon also do fin, and their delivery mechanism is said to reduce the chance of sides.

Interesting you say topical can be tough go continue long term. If say you do moisturiser and brush teeth in morning, then a quick spray on the head seems easier to remember than a tablet.

But good to know about the greasy.

I will check Xyon now.

I said go myself that I wouldn't do the transplant if I had to take pills with side effects, but when LLLT was sold to me, I thought Bingo! And went ahead. Seems that there's question marks over it though...

Forcing me to risk the pills.

The usual recommendation is to try medication for a few months (ideally longer) to determine whether you have side effects, then get a transplant.

I don't know your specifics (age and extent of loss), but you need to be sure you have a long term plan for how you manage your hair going forwards so not to be left in a situation where you're chasing your hair loss with potentially more surgeries and a finite donor supply.

15 minutes ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

The usual recommendation is to try medication for a few months (ideally longer) to determine whether you have side effects, then get a transplant.

I don't know your specifics (age and extent of loss), but you need to be sure you have a long term plan for how you manage your hair going forwards so not to be left in a situation where you're chasing your hair loss with potentially more surgeries and a finite donor supply.

Thanks for the response.

The plan was Lazer and speaking to the guy, Lazer was a very viable option. I guess reading more as you would do post surgery I'm seeing more and more people on a pill of some sort so it's making me nervous that Lazer won't cut the mustard. 

I'm 37 and the above picture in OP suggest my hairline. Been thinning for 20 years so possibly slowed down a bit?

I would suggest to start with topical route of fin and min first. Because your hair is short so applying them won't be an issue and it won't get stuck in your hair strands which makes them greasy. Once you see that sides are not there (which is very less for topical) and its working for you then either you can continue or decide on going for oral route in case you observe no sides from topical and your doctor recommends that you have no medical condition that prevents you from taking them and possibly get a slightly superior result (according to some studies).

Then you can slowly shift to oral route but use little bit of topical to be sure that there is no shedding during the switch and also to check for sides. If there are any then you can switch back to topical.

Incase you want to go oral route first and notice no sides then definitely you can continue until you get any sides or until you wish to( if no sides ). But problem will be that you might be scared to take them in topical form now due to sides from oral and also you have no habit of commiting to the topical route on a daily basis for a long period. (which is tedious yes)

Third option is go customized option of topical min once before sleep and oral fin ( but at 1 mg for 3 days a week). This stack is used by many in this forum and suggested by doctors on youtube channels. But there is no one fit all method as everyone has different response to it. You will change dosage according to suggestion by doctor according to your gains and sides.

On LLLT i can say with short hair this is probably best time to try it as no need to part your hair but use it as a booster to fin & min and not as a standalone treatment. Use the FDA approved device (approved for safety) and use as recommended only so as to not hamper any gain from fin min by irritating the skin too much. But don't start it right away. Let your scalp heal a little.

Later on you can also add xyon's topical dutasteride if the fin wasn't working for you or you want more gain than what fin min has given you. This way you will know that how much each treatment worked for you.

Note: Also incase you go topical min and fin or just topical min then can use microneedling as people have posted good results with it. This it seems increases the systematic absorption so read into it. As the results may get boosted but the sides which you fear may come. 

Patience and educated decisions/ changes to routine is the key. Farmer doesn't put everything in the soil and expect things to grow right. Good luck with your journey. 🙂 

Just now, Gatsby said:

Does this hair transplant company also sell LLLT? 

Hi, the trasnplant place didn't sell it but the guys who I went through, consulted with, booked me in etc do it.

I've been having Lazer since start of the year in prep for the surgery and have it as part of my package until end of the year. Then they suggest to come back for Lazer in 3 and 5 years for a 3 month course of it.

All sounds very beleivable. So I've gone once a week for 50 mins since December and sat under a LLLT, then drive home.

Internationa Hair Studio is the company.

The trasnplant clinic that they used and I used is https://hairgrowthcentre.com/

In Kenton, London. Was impressed with them. They suggest Fin, Min topic lotion going forward.

• Valued Contributor

Are the providing the Fin, Min topical lotion for you? Do you have to pay them for this? Is it more expensive than buying finasteride and minoxidol yourself? I'm pretty sure (with a name like) International Hair Studio is more interested in booking you in for LLLT and topicals for the money that they can make off of you. Not for how they can help you as a consumer. Just look out for conflicts of interest from clinics who try and sign you up for other products other than surgery. More than likely there will be kick backs abound when it comes to third parties. Focus on finding an elite surgeon rather than a company selling bells and whistles. Personally I see this sort of salesmanship as a big red flag to avoid when researching for a surgeon.

56 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Are the providing the Fin, Min topical lotion for you? Do you have to pay them for this? Is it more expensive than buying finasteride and minoxidol yourself? I'm pretty sure (with a name like) International Hair Studio is more interested in booking you in for LLLT and topicals for the money that they can make off of you. Not for how they can help you as a consumer. Just look out for conflicts of interest from clinics who try and sign you up for other products other than surgery. More than likely there will be kick backs abound when it comes to third parties. Focus on finding an elite surgeon rather than a company selling bells and whistles. Personally I see this sort of salesmanship as a big red flag to avoid when researching for a surgeon.

Hi  Gatsby,
They are providing the topical. I don know about them purely being about the money as I expect their reputation and reviews would go out the window in time if what they suggest is complete trash. But maybe you are right. I have heard back from the surgeon who did my trasnplant regarding their suggested method. (Not international Hair Studio)

Quote from Dr/Clinic who did the surgery.

- Keep good hydration 
-Healthy food 
-Stop the baby shampoo if you still use it, and instead use aloe Vera shampoo to maintain good hydration. 
-Biotin 12000 mcg daily tablet for at least 6 month (you can find them on Amazon if you like to)

- You can get benefit from applying the combined scalp density maintaining liquid or regrowth , which is stimulant & DHT blocker lotion [Azaelic acid + Finasteride + Minoxidil] 
to stimulate and maintain / protect your hairs and to stimulate the sleepy / dormant hair follicles 

It comes in 6 month course from the pharmacy , the whole 6 month course is for £200

I have asked for the brand name so I can google it myself, so will see if they are forthcoming.

10 hours ago, duckling said:

I would suggest to start with topical route of fin and min first. Because your hair is short so applying them won't be an issue and it won't get stuck in your hair strands which makes them greasy. Once you see that sides are not there (which is very less for topical) and its working for you then either you can continue or decide on going for oral route in case you observe no sides from topical and your doctor recommends that you have no medical condition that prevents you from taking them and possibly get a slightly superior result (according to some studies).

Then you can slowly shift to oral route but use little bit of topical to be sure that there is no shedding during the switch and also to check for sides. If there are any then you can switch back to topical.

Incase you want to go oral route first and notice no sides then definitely you can continue until you get any sides or until you wish to( if no sides ). But problem will be that you might be scared to take them in topical form now due to sides from oral and also you have no habit of commiting to the topical route on a daily basis for a long period. (which is tedious yes)

Third option is go customized option of topical min once before sleep and oral fin ( but at 1 mg for 3 days a week). This stack is used by many in this forum and suggested by doctors on youtube channels. But there is no one fit all method as everyone has different response to it. You will change dosage according to suggestion by doctor according to your gains and sides.

On LLLT i can say with short hair this is probably best time to try it as no need to part your hair but use it as a booster to fin & min and not as a standalone treatment. Use the FDA approved device (approved for safety) and use as recommended only so as to not hamper any gain from fin min by irritating the skin too much. But don't start it right away. Let your scalp heal a little.

Later on you can also add xyon's topical dutasteride if the fin wasn't working for you or you want more gain than what fin min has given you. This way you will know that how much each treatment worked for you.

Note: Also incase you go topical min and fin or just topical min then can use microneedling as people have posted good results with it. This it seems increases the systematic absorption so read into it. As the results may get boosted but the sides which you fear may come. 

Patience and educated decisions/ changes to routine is the key. Farmer doesn't put everything in the soil and expect things to grow right. Good luck with your journey. 🙂 

Thank you for your help.

Yes I think I'll go fin and Min topical. Is there a "best place to buy it" I'm in the UK if that helps. I read that some you do once a day, some once a week etc.

Assume I start 4 ish weeks after my transplant?

On 4/4/2023 at 2:18 PM, Jb4458 said:

If I wanted say less than 1% chance of side affects but a quality routine to manage my hair

The only way you will know if you get side effects to DHT Inhibitors is to try them. The safety profile for oral finasteride is excellent. Most people who take it do so with no sides. They just re-grow hair/hold on to their native hair for longer. If you are one of the small minority that is unlucky, then drop the dose or take it every other day. 

5 minutes ago, NikosHair said:

The only way you will know if you get side effects to DHT Inhibitors is to try them. The safety profile for oral finasteride is excellent. Most people who take it do so with no sides. They just re-grow hair/hold on to their native hair for longer. If you are one of the small minority that is unlucky, then drop the dose or take it every other day. 

Is it true that once you stop, all your hair falls out? Except the transplanted bit?

Like, it's harder to start then stop then not start at all?

21 minutes ago, Jb4458 said:

Is it true that once you stop, all your hair falls out? Except the transplanted bit?

Like, it's harder to start then stop then not start at all?

Only take it for as long as you want to keep your hair😊

13 hours ago, Jb4458 said:

Thank you for your help.

Yes I think I'll go fin and Min topical. Is there a "best place to buy it" I'm in the UK if that helps. I read that some you do once a day, some once a week etc.

Assume I start 4 ish weeks after my transplant?

The first part i would not be able to help with as I am not from there so suggesting anything will be wrong. I am sure you will get info about it from reddit or here too as somebody would have already asked this.  

Second part i can answer that start anytime after 2nd week (There is no scientific research on this, but doctors recommend this 2 weeks gap so grafts are not affected if people apply it in rough manner and your scabs are gone too ). Some People wait one month or more because already so much shedding from transplant will happen ( transplanted hair will shed and also some shock hair loss) and minoxidil or the alcohol in the solution can irritate your scalp more and also the minoxidil will start its own shedding phase of your existing hair (weaker hairs so more thicker and healthy ones grow ) so people may get more demotivated seeing all this shed. But minoxidil will help you against this shock loss by helping in faster recovery.

People  who were already on minoxidil before transplant you will notice starting it again right after 2 weeks or even faster if they were on the oral version , the reason is that they don't want to lose out on the gains they gave got from minoxidil because minoxidil is essential to save your existing hair because If only transplanted ones are left then think about the density right. 

My suggestion is If your scalp is healed then start it after 2 weeks or max by 4 weeks but be gentle on your scalp when applying. Don't be demotivated by shedding. You will find timelines of people here who have waited 1 year to see full results. Hope the transplant and response to min+fin combination is good for you. And don't stress about sides or how long to commit to meds for now as the reason you are taking topical versions are so that you are less worried about sides and as someone suggested the oral finasteride is also safe for majority and very less percent are affected.